Thursday daily cattle summary
09 February 2017
Cattle throughput at Dalby decreased marginally (1%) this week, to 5,259 head. Yearling sections were well supplied, with a decent yarding of bullocks and cows also on offer. Quality was fairly good, with several runs of well-bred yearlings suited mostly for feeders and backgrounders.
- Medium C2 vealer steers to restockers reached 394¢, averaging 370¢/kg
- Medium C2 yearling steers to feed eased 27¢, averaging 338¢/kg
- Medium C2 yearling heifers to feed were back 20¢, averaging 317¢/kg
- Medium D3 cows to slaughter held firm, averaging 239¢/kg
Consignments at Casino lifted 29% this week, to 2,090 head. Dryer conditions of late contributed to larger numbers penned, with younger vealers well supplied. Processors and restocker buyers competed strongly on the better quality types, with the market trending mostly cheaper overall.
- Medium C2 vealer steers to restockers slipped 12¢, averaging 370¢/kg
- Medium C2 vealer heifers to processors eased 8¢, averaging 337¢/kg
- Medium D2 cows to slaughter were back 9¢, averaging 216¢/kg
Numbers at Warrnambool declined 14%, to 1,729 head. Quality ranged from average to good across most categories this week, with the usual buyer demand easing slightly compared to previous sales. Vealers remained mostly unchanged to easier in places, while yearling drafts trended cheaper overall.
- Medium C2 vealer steers to restockers gained 14¢, averaging 360¢/kg
- Medium C3 vealer heifers to slaughter reached 340¢, averaging 329¢/kg
- Heavy C4 bullocks to processors eased 7¢, averaging 311¢/kg
- Medium E1 cows to slaughter held firm, averaging 175¢/kg
At the close of Wednesday’s markets:
- The Eastern Young Cattle Indicator (EYCI) finished on 642¢, decreasing 4¢/kg cwt on where it finished the previous day.
- Trade steers averaged 332¢, dropping 14¢/kg lwt
- Medium steers increased 2¢, averaging 300¢/kg lwt
- Heavy steers eased 1¢, averaging 305¢/kg lwt
- Medium cows slipped 1¢, averaging 232¢/kg lwt
- Feeder steers settled on 350¢, down 3¢/kg lwt
Note: All yardings and prices referenced are from MLA reported saleyards
Join myMLA today
One username and password for key integrity and information Systems (LPA/NVD, NLIS, MSA & LDL).
A personalised online dashboard that provides news, weather, events and R&D tools relevant to you.
Customised market information and analysis.
Already registered for myMLA?