Thursday daily cattle summary
16 February 2017
Cattle yardings at Dalby declined 9% this week, to 4,786 head. A good supply of yearlings were on offer, however grown cattle representation was limited. Young cattle were made up of some good runs of well-bred light and medium weight yearlings, with quality fair throughout.
- Light C2 vealer steers to restockers eased 2¢, averaging 368¢/kg
- Medium C2 yearling steers to feed gained 3¢, averaging 341¢/kg
- Medium D3 cows to processors were back 6¢, averaging 233¢/kg
Casino throughput decreased 40%, to 1,250 head. Quality was much plainer compared to the previous sale, with cows making up the bulk of the grown sections. Vealers made up the majority of the younger offering, with most selling strongly to trade and restocker orders.
- Light C2 vealer steers to restockers reached 415¢, averaging 370¢/kg
- Light C2 vealer heifers to processors were up 4¢, averaging 341¢/kg
- Medium D2 cows to slaughter slipped 3¢, averaging 213¢/kg
Throughput at Warrnambool declined 38%, to 1,074 head. A significant drop in supply was recorded, with quality ranging mainly from average to good. Most of the cow offering was in plainer quality, and the usual following of buyers operated in a mixed market overall.
- Heavy C3 vealer heifers to processors were up 12¢, averaging 345¢/kg
- Heavy C4 bullocks to slaughter slipped 8¢, averaging 303¢/kg
- Heavy E1 dairy cows to processors gained 1¢, averaging 189¢/kg
At the close of Wednesday’s markets:
- The Eastern Young Cattle Indicator (EYCI) decreased 2¢ on where it finished the previous day, averaging 636¢/kg cwt
- Trade steers were up 2¢, at 329¢/kg lwt
- Medium steers averaged 294¢, back 1¢/kg lwt
- Heavy steers averaged 296¢, back 1¢/kg lwt
- Medium cows averaged 227¢, back 1¢/kg lwt
- Feeder steers averaged 343¢, gaining 3¢/kg lwt
Note: All yardings and prices referenced are from MLA reported saleyards
Join myMLA today
One username and password for key integrity and information Systems (LPA/NVD, NLIS, MSA & LDL).
A personalised online dashboard that provides news, weather, events and R&D tools relevant to you.
Customised market information and analysis.
Already registered for myMLA?