Thursday daily cattle summary
23 February 2017
Dalby cattle throughput declined 14% this week, to 4,113 head. A fair panel of buyers operated in a generally cheaper market compared to the previous sale, with light yearling drafts the exception – receiving strong demand from restockers.
- Light C2 yearling steers to restockers were back 22¢, averaging 358¢/kg
- Light C2 yearling heifers to restockers were up 8¢, averaging 329¢/kg
- Heavy D4 cows to processors slipped 10¢, averaging 232¢/kg
Consignments at Casino increased 21%, to 1,514 head. A good supply of vealers and a handful of lighter yearlings were on offer this week, with cow sections dominating the supply of grown cattle. Quality throughout the vealers was particularly good – with prime milk veal making up the majority.
- Medium C2 vealer steers to restockers eased 18¢, averaging 351¢/kg
- Medium C2 vealer heifers to processors were back 17¢, averaging 324¢/kg
- Medium D3 cows to processors were up 1¢, averaging 223¢/kg
Warrnambool cattle numbers increased 31%, to 1,409 head. Quality varied across all categories this week, with the usual field of buyers in attendance – along with the same additional restocker buyer from the previous sale. Demand remained steady for young cattle, with restockers bidding keenly in places and spirited competition seen for a few pens of beef cows.
- Medium C2 yearling steers to restockers sold to 357¢, averaging 322¢/kg
- Heavy C4 bullocks to slaughter were up 2¢, averaging 305¢/kg
- Heavy E1 dairy cows slipped 10¢, averaging 180¢/kg
At the close of Wednesday’s markets:
- The Eastern Young Cattle Indicator (EYCI) declined 5¢ on where it finished the previous day, averaging 626¢/kg cwt
- Trade steers were back 1¢, averaging 328¢/kg lwt
- Medium steers averaged 287¢, back 5¢/kg lwt
- Heavy steers averaged 291¢, down 5¢/kg lwt
- Medium cows were back 3¢, at 222¢/kg lwt
- Feeder steers averaged 336¢, back 1¢/kg lwt
Note: All yardings and prices referenced are from MLA reported saleyards
Join myMLA today
One username and password for key integrity and information Systems (LPA/NVD, NLIS, MSA & LDL).
A personalised online dashboard that provides news, weather, events and R&D tools relevant to you.
Customised market information and analysis.
Already registered for myMLA?