Thursday daily cattle summary
09 March 2017
Cattle numbers at Dalby declined 22% this week, to 4,075 head. The yarding was made up of a good supply of yearlings, with a large offering of lighter weight vealers also penned. Quality throughout was fairly good, with several drafts of well-bred lines suitable for backgrounders and feeders also on offer.
- Light C2 yearling steers to restockers were back 8¢, to 359¢/kg
- Light C2 yearling heifers to restockers averaged 4¢ dearer, at 339¢/kg
- Heavy D4 cows to slaughter slipped 8¢, averaging 223¢/kg
Casino throughput lifted 15%, to 1,730 head. A good supply of vealers were yarded this week, with a number of plainer quality lines also penned. Quality was generally good, with the exception of some restocker weaners that presented in mixed condition.
- Medium C2 vealer steers to restockers were back 19¢, averaging 327¢/kg
- Light C2 vealer heifers to processors averaged 21¢ lower, at 302¢/kg
- Medium D3 cows to slaughter slipped 4¢, averaging 219¢/kg
Consignments at Warrnambool declined 11%, to 1,042 head. Not all buyers operated this week, with a mixed offering of cattle penned. Vealer prices held mostly firm to marginally cheaper, while cow drafts trended similarly to slightly dearer in places.
- Heavy C3 vealer heifers to processors were back 11¢, averaging 331¢/kg
- Heavy C4 bullocks to slaughter eased 1¢, averaging 296¢/kg
- Heavy E1 cows to the same orders reached 185¢, averaging 178¢/kg
At the close of Wednesday’s markets:
- The Eastern Young Cattle Indicator (EYCI) averaged 614.25¢, easing 1¢/kg cwt on where it finished the previous day
- Trade steers were back 1¢, averaging 327¢/kg lwt
- Medium steers averaged 284¢, back 1¢/kg lwt
- Heavy steers averaged 290¢, up 1¢/kg lwt
- Medium cows averaged 217¢/kg lwt, holding firm
- Feeder steers averaged 328¢/kg lwt, steady
Note: All yardings and prices referenced are from MLA reported saleyards
Join myMLA today
One username and password for key integrity and information Systems (LPA/NVD, NLIS, MSA & LDL).
A personalised online dashboard that provides news, weather, events and R&D tools relevant to you.
Customised market information and analysis.
Already registered for myMLA?