Thursday daily cattle summary
11 August 2016
Dalby cattle throughput increased 1% this week, to 3,981 head. A good mix of cattle were penned from mostly south western regions, with a full panel of export and domestic processors operating. Feeder and restocker buyers were also active, with yearling lines continuing to trend dearer.
- Light C2 yearling steers to restockers were up 8¢, averaging 399¢, while medium C3 lines to feed averaged 380¢, up 5¢/kg
- Light D2 yearling heifers to restockers averaged 376¢/kg
- Medium D2 cows to processors gained 10¢, averaging 255¢/kg
Consignments at Casino increased 10%, to 1,755 head. Young cattle were well supplied, with a good run of light and medium weight vealers penned, along with several drafts of yearlings. Quality was fairly good, with a number of well-bred steers penned suitable for restockers.
- Light D2 vealer steers to restockers gained 21¢, averaging 408¢/kg
- Light C2 vealer heifers to processors were up 32¢, averaging 368¢/kg
- Medium D3 cows to slaughter were up 2¢, averaging 247¢/kg
Numbers at Warrnambool increased 34%, to 980 head. Export cattle dominated the yarding, with the regular buying group present and active in the market. Quality remained plain to average and prices held mostly firm, with a dearer trend seen in some sections depending on condition.
- Heavy C2 grown steers to processors averaged 292¢/kg
- Light C3 grown heifers to slaughter were up 18¢, averaging 328¢/kg
- Medium D1 dairy cows averaged 8¢ higher, on 230¢/kg
At the close of Wednesday’s markets:
- The Eastern Young Cattle Indicator (EYCI) averaged 716.50¢, up 7.50¢/kg cwt on where it finished the previous day
- Trade steers were up 5¢, on 375¢/kg lwt
- Medium steers were up 3¢, on 346¢/kg lwt
- Heavy steers were back 1¢, on 343¢/kg lwt
- Medium cows were up 4¢, on 258¢/kg lwt
- Feeder steers were up 3¢, on 387¢/kg lwt
Note: All yardings and prices referenced are from MLA reported saleyards
Join myMLA today
One username and password for key integrity and information Systems (LPA/NVD, NLIS, MSA & LDL).
A personalised online dashboard that provides news, weather, events and R&D tools relevant to you.
Customised market information and analysis.
Already registered for myMLA?