Thursday daily cattle summary
01 September 2016
This week at Dalby, cattle numbers increased 5% to 3,350 head. Throughput lifted marginally, however there was a smaller offering of bullocks and steers penned. Younger sections were well supplied, with a few drafts of well-bred cattle seen amongst some plainer grades and quality varying across most sections.
- Medium C2 vealer steers to restockers eased 19¢, averaging 389¢/kg
- Medium C2 vealer heifers to restockers slipped 10¢, averaging 371¢/kg
- Medium C2 yearling steers to feed averaged 368¢, back 29¢/kg
- Heavy C2 yearling heifers to feed gained 1¢, averaging 353¢/kg
Throughput at Casino increased 6%, to 1,320 head. Quality across young cattle sections improved week-on-week, with less plainer light weights penned. Medium weight veal was well represented, along with some notable well finished heavier drafts.
- Light C2 vealer steers to restockers were back 7¢, averaging 392¢/kg
- Light C2 vealer heifers to processors gained 2¢, averaging 369¢/kg
Warrnambool consignments increased 13%, to 900 head. Quality was mixed across both export and young cattle sections this week, with most of the regular buyers in attendance, however not all fully active. The market varied across all major sections, with good conditioned grown cattle dearer, and cow categories slightly cheaper.
- Heavy C3 grown steers to processors were up 16¢, averaging 358¢/kg
- Light E1 dairy cows gained 1¢, selling to 213¢, and averaging 199¢/kg
- Heavy D1 dairy cows averaged 230¢, back 3¢/kg
At the close of Wednesday’s markets:
- The Eastern Young Cattle Indicator (EYCI) finished at 706.25¢, back 2.50¢ on where it had finished the previous day
- Trade steers were up 1¢, on 373¢/kg lwt
- Medium steers were up 8¢, to 336¢/kg lwt
- Heavy steers were up 1¢, to 337¢/kg lwt
- Medium cows were up 1¢, on 262¢/kg lwt
- Feeder steers were back 1¢, on 382¢/kg lwt
Note: All yardings and prices referenced are from MLA reported saleyards
Join myMLA today
One username and password for key integrity and information Systems (LPA/NVD, NLIS, MSA & LDL).
A personalised online dashboard that provides news, weather, events and R&D tools relevant to you.
Customised market information and analysis.
Already registered for myMLA?