Thursday daily cattle summary
15 September 2016
Cattle numbers at Dalby increased 6% this week, to 2,835 head. Quality varied across most categories, with some notable feeder cattle and bullocks penned. Most western consignments were in good condition, and competition was strong, with cows trending dearer week-on-week.
- Light C2 yearling steers to feed eased 24¢, averaging 366¢/kg
- Light C2 yearling heifers to feed were up 19¢, averaging 359¢/kg
- Medium grown steers to feed gained 24¢, averaging 370¢/kg
- Medium D4 cows to processors were up 1¢, averaging 264¢/kg
Throughput at Casino increased 4%, to 1,216 head. Quality improved marginally this week, with a good supply of light and medium weight veal penned. Yearlings in plainer condition were also well represented, with all the usual buyers operating in a strong market overall.
- Medium C2 vealer steers to restockers were up 3¢, averaging 395¢/kg
- Medium C2 vealer heifers to processors gained 8¢, averaging 376¢/kg
- Medium D2 cows to slaughter averaged 235¢, up 2¢/kg
This week at Warrnambool, cattle throughput declined 24% to 868 head. Scattered showers continued to have an effect on yardings, with all the regular buyers in attendance. Quality was mixed, and prices held firm to dearer across most lines, with younger cattle selling to particularly strong demand.
- Heavy C3 bullocks to processors were up 7¢, averaging 347¢/kg
- Medium E1 dairy cows were up 5¢, averaging 214¢, while heavy D1 liens were up 4¢, at 235¢/kg
At the close of Wednesday’s markets:
- The Eastern Young Cattle Indicator (EYCI) settled at 713¢/kg cwt, back 2¢/kg cwt on where it had finished the previous day
- Trade steers lifted 5¢ to 378¢/kg lwt
- Medium steers gained 6¢, to 348¢/kg lwt
- Heavy steers were back 1¢, on 343¢/kg lwt
- Medium cows eased 1¢, to 256¢/kg lwt
- Feeder steers were firm, on 377¢/kg lwt
Note: All yardings and prices referenced are from MLA reported saleyards
Join myMLA today
One username and password for key integrity and information Systems (LPA/NVD, NLIS, MSA & LDL).
A personalised online dashboard that provides news, weather, events and R&D tools relevant to you.
Customised market information and analysis.
Already registered for myMLA?