Thursday daily cattle summary
29 September 2016
Consignments at Dalby increased considerably this week, to 2,555 head. As a result of some finer weather, good mixes of cattle were penned across all classes, with a fair panel of buyers present in active. Restockers were again active on lighter sections, while medium and heavier weights sold strongly to feeder buyers.
- Light C2 yearling steers to restockers jumped 19¢, averaging 417¢/kg
- Light C2 yearling heifers to restockers averaged 34¢ dearer, at 392¢/kg
- Heavy D4 cows to slaughter eased 5¢, to 274¢/kg
Numbers at Casino decreased 37%, to 760 head. Younger sections were made up principally of light and medium weight vealers and weaners this week – with limited supplies of heavy weights and yearlings. Quality and condition varied across all sections, with a notable amount of vealers lacking finish.
- Light D2 vealer steers to restockers gained 2¢, averaging 404¢/kg
- Light C2 vealer heifers to processors were back 2¢, averaging 379¢/kg
- Medium D2 cows to slaughter gained 1¢, averaging 247¢/kg
Cattle throughput at Warrnambool declined 10%, to 837 head. Quality remained plain to good across most of the yarding this week, with most of the usual field of buyers present. The handful of yearling trade steers trended dearer, with restockers securing supplies at firmer rates.
- Heavy C3 yearling heifers to slaughter were up 4¢, averaging 332¢/kg
- Heavy C4 bullocks to processors gained 7¢, averaging 354¢/kg
- Medium E1 dairy cows to the same orders eased 2¢, averaging 210¢/kg
At the close of Wednesday’s markets:
- The Eastern Young Cattle Indicator (EYCI) settled on 719¢, up 1.50¢/kg cwt, on where it had finished the previous day
- Trade steers were firm on 378¢/kg lwt
- Medium steers were up 19¢, to 356¢/kg lwt
- Heavy steers were up 1¢, to 345¢/kg lwt
- Medium cows were back 4¢, on 258¢/kg lwt
- Feeder steers were firm on 386¢/kg lwt
Note: All yardings and prices referenced are from MLA reported saleyards
Join myMLA today
One username and password for key integrity and information Systems (LPA/NVD, NLIS, MSA & LDL).
A personalised online dashboard that provides news, weather, events and R&D tools relevant to you.
Customised market information and analysis.
Already registered for myMLA?