Thursday daily sheep summary
09 June 2016
Lamb consignments at CTLX decreased 34% this week, to 7,400 head. Quality was mixed, with store lambs in good supply. All the usual buyers operated in a dearer market, with trade weights well represented, and heavy lambs limited.
Sheep numbers increased 12%, to 2,230 head. Quality was notably mixed, with prices lifting across lighter sections and heavier lines holding firm.
- Light weight 2 score old lambs to restockers jumped 11¢, to 683¢/kg cwt
- Trade weight 3 score old lambs to slaughter gained 56¢, to 660¢/kg cwt
- Heavy weight 4 score old lambs were up 13¢, 627¢/kg cwt
- Medium weight 3 score Merino ewes were up 41¢, to 424¢/kg cwt
Lamb throughput at Hamilton declined 36%, to 4,614 head. Quality was mixed week-on-week. The usual buyers operated in a stronger market, with demand holding steady for light weights, and trade lambs settling dearer overall.
Mutton consignments declined 23%, to 4,594 head. Quality was mixed across the yarding, with most light and medium weights settling dearer.
- Light weight 2 score old lambs to slaughter averaged 610¢, up 1¢/kg cwt
- Trade weight 3 score old lambs finished 11¢ dearer, at 618¢/kg cwt
- Heavy weight 4 score old lambs were up 11¢, at 615¢/kg cwt
- Medium weight 2 score first-cross ewes averaged 358¢, back 10¢/kg cwt
At the close of Wednesday’s markets:
- The eastern states restocker lamb indicator was up 6¢ on where it finished the previous day, on 636¢/kg cwt
- Merino lambs were back 2¢, on 560¢/kg cwt
- Light lambs were back 1¢, to 590¢/kg cwt
- Trade lambs were up 4¢, to 603¢/kg cwt
- Heavy lambs were up 1¢, on 604¢/kg cwt
- The mutton indicator gained 4¢, on 396¢/kg cwt
Note: All yardings and prices referenced are from MLA reported saleyards.
Join myMLA today
One username and password for key integrity and information Systems (LPA/NVD, NLIS, MSA & LDL).
A personalised online dashboard that provides news, weather, events and R&D tools relevant to you.
Customised market information and analysis.
Already registered for myMLA?