Thursday daily sheep summary
16 June 2016
Lamb throughput at CTLX increased 84% week-on-week, to 13,600 head. Quality was mixed, with well finished heavy lambs presenting in notable condition, along with plenty of plainer lines. The regular buyers operated in a slightly cheaper market overall, with trade and store types well represented.
Mutton numbers increased 70%, to 3,800 head. Quality was very mixed, with most weights and grades on offer.
- Light weight 2 score old lambs to restockers lowered 86¢, to 597¢/kg
- Trade weight 3 score old lambs to slaughter eased 38¢, to 622¢/kg cwt
- Heavy weight 4 score old lambs averaged 612¢, back 15¢/kg
- Extra heavy weight 4 score old lambs averaged 17¢ lower, on 605¢/kg
Lamb consignments at Hamilton increased 56%, to 7,177 head. Quality ranged from average to very good across this week’s offering, with demand continuing to strengthen. Despite the absence of one domestic processor, all the regular buyers were in operation, with trade and heavy weight lines selling to a dearer trend.
Mutton numbers declined 26%, to 3,416 head. Yardings eased this week, with quality following a similar trend. Most categories sold at firm levels, with Merinos well supplied.
- Light weight 2 score old lambs to slaughter eased 28¢, on 590¢/kg cwt
- Trade weight 3 score old lambs to processors gained 6¢, to 625¢/kg cwt
- Heavy weight 4 score old lambs averaged 612¢, back 3¢/kg cwt
- Medium weight 3 score Merino ewes averaged 425¢/kg cwt
At the close of Wednesday’s markets:
- The eastern states restocker lamb indicator averaged 594¢, decreasing 25¢/kg cwt on where it finished the previous day
- Merino lambs held firm, on 556¢/kg cwt
- Light lambs were back 5¢, to 584¢/kg cwt
- Trade lambs were back 1¢, to 608¢/kg cwt
- Heavy lambs held steady, on 612¢/kg cwt
- The mutton indicator settled 1¢ higher, on 403¢/kg cwt
Note: All yardings and prices referenced are from MLA reported saleyards.
Join myMLA today
One username and password for key integrity and information Systems (LPA/NVD, NLIS, MSA & LDL).
A personalised online dashboard that provides news, weather, events and R&D tools relevant to you.
Customised market information and analysis.
Already registered for myMLA?