Thursday daily sheep summary
16 July 2015
Lamb consignments at Hamilton declined 55% week-on-week, to 2,222 head. Quality was average for the lambs with less weight and condition, with only limited local re-stocker activity on light lambs. The regular buyers were present for this time of the year, aside from two domestic buyers and one processor. Mutton numbers decreased 58%, to 1,496 head, and a better yarding of sheep was offered with some good drafts of Merino wethers and crossbred ewes.
- Light weight 2 score lambs declined 11¢ on 561¢/kg cwt
- Trade weight 3 score lambs were 3¢ lower on 602¢/kg cwt
- Heavy weight 4 score lambs were down 5¢ on 601¢/kg cwt
- Medium weight 3 score Merino ewes jumped 25¢ on 370¢/kg cwt
- Medium weight 3 score Merino wethers increased 33¢ on 412¢kg cwt
Lamb throughput at CTLX was down 20%, to 6,300 head, with a fair quality yarding. There were good runs of heavy weight lambs on offer, a reasonable selection of trade weights and also a fair percentage of light weight lambs penned. Sheep consignments declined 27%, to 2,200 head. Most grades sold to a dearer trend and a good level of quality was seen across the yarding.
- Light weight 2 score lambs gained 25¢ on 472¢/kg cwt
- Trade weight 3 score lambs increased 45¢ to 589¢/kg cwt
- Heavy weight 4 score lambs jumped 17¢ to average 583¢/kg cwt
- Extra heavy 4 score lambs were up 31¢ on 600¢/kg cwt
- Heavy weight 3 score Merino ewes gained 74¢ and averaged 452¢/kg cwt
- Heavy 4 score Merino wethers were 73¢ higher and averaged 473¢/kg cwt
At the close of Wednesday’s markets:
- Eastern states restocker lamb indicator decreased 10¢ to 509¢/kg cwt
- Merino lambs lifted 1¢ to 550¢/kg cwt
- Light lambs fell 3¢ to 549¢/kg cwt
- Trade lambs were 4¢ higher on 584¢/kg cwt
- Heavy lambs were up 2¢ to 582¢/kg cwt
- The mutton indicator increased 3¢ to finish on 389¢/kg cwt
Note: All yardings and prices referenced are from MLA’s National Livestock Reporting Service (NLRS) reported saleyards.
Join myMLA today
One username and password for key integrity and information Systems (LPA/NVD, NLIS, MSA & LDL).
A personalised online dashboard that provides news, weather, events and R&D tools relevant to you.
Customised market information and analysis.
Already registered for myMLA?