Thursday daily sheep summary
29 September 2016
This week at CTLX, lamb numbers over doubled to 7,800 head. Off the back of some finer weather, supplies lifted considerably – with some good runs of well finished new season lambs penned.
Mutton supplies increased at a similar rate this week, yarding 2,250 head. It was a good quality yarding of sheep, with some top runs of well finished Merino ewes and wethers penned.
- New season trade weight 3 score lambs slipped 10¢, to 589¢/kg cwt
- Old season light weight 2 score lambs were up 5¢, to 581¢/kg cwt
- Old season trade weight 3 score lambs eased 57¢, to 561¢/kg cwt
- Medium weight 3 score Merino wethers sold to 423¢, averaging 409¢/kg cwt
Throughput at Hamilton declined 18% this week, to 685 head. The usual array of buyers were present this week, with quality average to plain across the offering. Despite the market trending mostly dearer, restocker interest remained relatively subdued on the levels seen in recent weeks.
Sheep numbers decreased 28%, to 1,732 head. A good mix of both plainer Merinos and crossbreds were penned this week, with all weights and grades on offer.
- Old season light weight 2 score Merino lambs averaged 526¢/kg cwt
- Old season trade weight 3 score lambs to slaughter averaged 523¢/kg cwt
- Medium weight 2 score Merino ewes were back 8¢, to 411¢/kg cwt
- Medium weight 2 score Merino wethers gained 20¢, to 409¢/kg cwt
At the close of Wednesday’s markets:
- The eastern states restocker lamb indicator lifted 5¢, to 639¢/kg cwt
- Merino lambs were back 3¢, on 534¢/kg cwt
- Light lambs were 3¢ lower, on 590¢/kg cwt
- Trade lambs were down 4¢, on 608¢/kg cwt
- Heavy lambs were back 4¢, to 597¢/kg cwt
- The mutton indicator settled 1¢ higher, on 401¢/kg cwt
Note: All yardings and prices referenced are from MLA reported saleyards.
Join myMLA today
One username and password for key integrity and information Systems (LPA/NVD, NLIS, MSA & LDL).
A personalised online dashboard that provides news, weather, events and R&D tools relevant to you.
Customised market information and analysis.
Already registered for myMLA?