Thursday daily sheep summary
10 November 2016
At CTLX Carcoar this week, lamb throughput increased 3% to 7.500 head. A fair to good quality supply of lambs were penned, with a notable selection of new season lines on offer and merino sections well represented.
Sheep numbers increased 33%, to 2,800 head. Crossbred ewes made up the bulk of the offering in what was a mixed quality yarding, with restockers active on both ewes and wethers.
- New season trade weight 3 score lambs to processors were up 3¢, to 529¢/kg cwt
- Old season light weight 2 score Merino lambs slipped 48¢, to 469¢/kg cwt
- Old season trade weight 3 score lambs to slaughter were back 16¢, to 505¢/kg cwt
- Heavy weight 4 score first-cross ewes gained 1¢, to 304¢/kg cwt
Lamb consignments at Hamilton increased substantially on last weeks yarding, at 13,112 head. The start of the young lamb season saw a lift in supply, with quality ranging from good to very good in sections. The market fluctuated throughout the sale, with medium trade weights selling mostly dearer overall.
Mutton numbers decreased 8%, to 3,578 head. All weights and grades were penned this week, with an improvement in weight seen across most sections and demand improving in parts.
- New season light weight 2 score first-cross lambs eased 13¢, to 543¢/kg cwt
- New season trade weight 3 score lambs to processors were back 12¢, to 519¢/kg cwt
- New season heavy weight 3 score lambs to slaughter eased 25¢, to 505¢/kg cwt
- New season extra heavy weight 4 score lambs dropped 21¢, to 508¢/kg cwt
- Heavy weight 4 score first-cross ewes were up 60¢, averaging 355¢/kg cwt
At the close of Wednesday’s markets:
- The eastern states restocker lamb indicator remained unchanged at 603¢/kg cwt
- Merino lambs were back 6¢, to 509¢/kg cwt
- Light lambs were down 4¢, on 559¢/kg cwt
- Trade lambs were back 4¢, on 529¢/kg cwt
- Heavy lambs slipped 4¢, to 513¢/kg cwt
- The mutton indicator settled 3¢ dearer, at 368¢/kg cwt
Note: All yardings and prices referenced are from MLA reported saleyards.
Join myMLA today
One username and password for key integrity and information Systems (LPA/NVD, NLIS, MSA & LDL).
A personalised online dashboard that provides news, weather, events and R&D tools relevant to you.
Customised market information and analysis.
Already registered for myMLA?