Thursday daily sheep summary
09 February 2017
This week at CTLX Carcoar numbers declined 28% to 6,150 head. The quality on offer varied across most categories, with the yarding made up predominantly of trade and store type lambs suitable for restockers. Despite a large percentage of the yarding lacking condition, buyer competition remained strong – with the limited supply of well finished drafts resulting in a dearer trend.
Sheep throughput held steady week-on-week, at 4,450 head. Quality varied throughout the offering, with lighter weight Merinos well supplied.
- Light weight 2 score old lambs to restockers were down 23¢, averaging 620¢/kg cwt
- Trade weight 3 score old lambs to slaughterwere back 18¢ averaging 622¢/kg cwt
- Heavy weight 4 score old lambs eased 35¢, averaging 600¢/kg cwt
- Light weight 2 score Merino ewes reached 400¢, averaging 323¢, back 63¢/kg cwt
Lamb numbers at Hamilton decreased 58% this week, to 11,292 head. Quality wavered from average to good across most sections, with shorn lambs making up the majority of the offering. The usual buyers operated more selectively compared to the previous sale, and despite restockers bidding keenly on lighter weights, a cheaper trend underlined the market.
- Light weight 2 score old lambs to restockers were back 36¢, averaging 756¢/kg cwt
- Trade weight 3 score old lambs to slaughter averaged 620¢, back 27¢/kg cwt
- Heavy weight 3 score old lambs averaged 28¢ lower, at 616¢/kg cwt
- Extra heavy weight 4 score old lambs eased 14¢, averaging 623¢/kg cwt
At the close of Wednesday’s markets:
- The eastern states restocker lamb indicator averaged 683¢, declining 18¢/kg cwt from the previous day
- Merino lambs averaged 563¢, up 3¢/kg cwt
- Light lambs averaged 624¢, down 5¢/kg cwt
- Trade lambs averaged 623¢, down 5¢/kg cwt
- Heavy lambs averaged 625¢, down 4¢/kg cwt
- The mutton indicator finished 1¢ lower, at 417¢/kg cwt
Note: All yardings and prices referenced are from MLA reported saleyards.
Join myMLA today
One username and password for key integrity and information Systems (LPA/NVD, NLIS, MSA & LDL).
A personalised online dashboard that provides news, weather, events and R&D tools relevant to you.
Customised market information and analysis.
Already registered for myMLA?