Thursday daily sheep summary
23 February 2017
This week at CTLX Carcoar, lamb numbers increased 31% to 11,100 head. Trade and light weight drafts made up the bulk of the yarding, with a limited supply of heavier weights penned. Not all the regular buyers operated in the cheaper market.
Mutton consignments increased 13%, to 6,200 head. A mixed yarding was on offer this week, with competition declining in a much cheaper market overall.
- Light weight 2 score Young lambs to restockers were back 81¢, to 600¢/kg cwt
- Trade weight 3 score Old lambs to slaughter slipped 76¢, to 611¢/kg cwt
- Heavy weight 4 score Old lambs to processors were back 53¢, to 606¢/kg cwt
- Heavy weight 4 score First-cross ewes dropped 93¢, averaging 320¢/kg cwt
Hamilton lamb throughput declined 12%, to 12,470 head. Quality varied across all categories, with a good supply of both heavy and well finished medium trade weights penned. Plainer and lighter store types were also well represented, as most of the usual buyers were in attendance – however not all operated fully, with some adopting a more selective approach week-on-week.
- Light weight 2 score Young lambs to restockers were up 41¢, averaging 748¢/kg cwt
- Light weight 1 score Old lambs to restockers slipped 30¢, averaging 827¢/kg cwt
- Trade weight 3 score Old lambs to slaughter were back 66¢, at 626¢/kg cwt
- Heavy weight 3 score Old lambs to processors eased 64¢, averaging 626¢/kg cwt
- Extra heavy weight 4 score Old lambs were back 59¢, averaging 615¢/kg cwt
At the close of Wednesday’s markets:
- The eastern states restocker lamb indicator averaged 697¢, declining 40¢/kg cwt from the previous day.
- Merino lambs averaged 598¢, up 1¢/kg cwt
- Light lambs averaged 619¢, back 9¢/kg cwt
- Trade lambs averaged 647¢, back 11¢/kg cwt
- Heavy lambs eased 8¢, averaging 655¢/kg cwt
- The mutton indicator finished 2¢ lower, at 422¢/kg cwt
Note: All yardings and prices referenced are from MLA reported saleyards.
Join myMLA today
One username and password for key integrity and information Systems (LPA/NVD, NLIS, MSA & LDL).
A personalised online dashboard that provides news, weather, events and R&D tools relevant to you.
Customised market information and analysis.
Already registered for myMLA?