Thursday daily sheep summary
11 August 2016
CTLX lamb throughput increased 73% this week, to 7,100 head. Improved weather conditions saw a lift in supply, with quality following a similar trend. New season lines presented in good condition, along with a fair selection of older trade weights. Light lambs were also well represented, selling to a cheaper trend.
Mutton yardings increased 6%, to 1,750 head. It was a mixed yarding of mutton, with most grades trending dearer week-on-week.
- Light weight 2 score new season lambs to restockers averaged 655¢/kg cwt
- Trade weight 3 score new season lambs were up 3¢, at 654¢/kg cwt
- Light weight 2 score old lambs to slaughter eased 60¢, at 543¢/kg cwt
- Trade weight 3 score old lambs to processors slipped 32¢, to 616¢/kg cwt
- Medium weight 3 score Merino wethers were up 59¢, on 421¢/kg cwt
Lamb consignments increased significantly at Hamilton this week, to 2,794 head. Quality was mixed, with an average to plainer offering of lambs yarded for the fewer buyers that attended. Trade weight old lambs eased in price, while most other sections remained similar to last week’s sale.
Mutton numbers increased substantially, to 1,133 head. Quality was average to good this week, with crossbred ewes and Merino wethers well supplied.
- Light weight 2 score old lambs to processors gained 1¢, to 516¢/kg cwt
- Trade weight 3 score old lambs to slaughter were back 32¢, to 624¢/kg cwt
- Heavy weight 4 score first cross merino ewes were up 22¢, at 350¢/kg cwt
- Medium weight 3 score Merino wethers averaged 386¢/kg cwt
At the close of Wednesday’s markets:
- The eastern states restocker lamb indicator averaged 568¢, back 3¢/kg cwt from where it finished the previous day
- Merino lambs were back 5¢, to 560¢/kg cwt
- Light lambs were back 9¢, on 578¢/kg cwt
- Trade lambs were back 2¢, on 647¢/kg cwt
- Heavy lambs were back 1¢, on 644¢/kg cwt
- The mutton indicator were back 2¢, on 395¢/kg cwt
Note: All yardings and prices referenced are from MLA reported saleyards.
Join myMLA today
One username and password for key integrity and information Systems (LPA/NVD, NLIS, MSA & LDL).
A personalised online dashboard that provides news, weather, events and R&D tools relevant to you.
Customised market information and analysis.
Already registered for myMLA?