Thursday daily sheep summary
17 November 2016
Lamb numbers at CTLX Carcoar decreased 19% this week, to 6,100 head. It was a fairly good quality yarding, with a notable selection of both new season and old season lambs. A handful of lighter weights, suitable to restockers, were also penned, while most trade sections trended dearer overall.
Mutton consignments declined 38%, to 1,750 head. It was a mixed yarding, with both crossbred ewes and Merino wethers well supplied.
- New season light weight 2 score restocker Merino lambs averaged 380¢/kg cwt
- New season trade weight 3 score lambs to processors were up 9¢, to 538¢/kg cwt
- Heavy weight 4 score first-cross ewes gained 17¢, to 321¢/kg cwt
- Heavy weight 4 score Merino wethers finished 2¢ dearer, at 386¢/kg cwt
This week at Hamilton, lamb throughput over doubled to 31,255 head. With the young lamb selling season now in full swing, quality was once again very good across the offering - with less plainer lambs penned. Competition remained strong, as restockers were particularly active on lighter types.
Sheep numbers decreased 34%, to 2,369 head. Medium and heavy weights made up the majority of the yarding this week, with prices trending dearer in general.
- New season light weight 2 score restocker lambs jumped 27¢, to 555¢/kg cwt
- New season trade weight 3 score lambs to slaughter gained 2¢, to 521¢/kg cwt
- New season heavy weight 3 score lambs averaged 21¢ dearer, at 526¢/kg cwt
- New season extra heavy weight 4 score lambs were up 9¢, to 517¢/kg cwt
- Heavy weight 3 score first-cross ewes finished 7¢ dearer, at 374¢/kg cwt
At the close of Wednesday’s markets:
- The eastern states restocker lamb indicator lowered 6¢, averaging 615¢/kg cwt
- Merino lambs held firm on 514¢/kg cwt
- Light lambs were up 5¢, to 557¢/kg cwt
- Trade lambs were up 2¢, to 539¢/kg cwt
- Heavy lambs settled 2¢ dearer, on 530¢/kg cwt
- The mutton indicator finished 1¢ higher, on 388¢/kg cwt
Note: All yardings and prices referenced are from MLA reported saleyards.
Join myMLA today
One username and password for key integrity and information Systems (LPA/NVD, NLIS, MSA & LDL).
A personalised online dashboard that provides news, weather, events and R&D tools relevant to you.
Customised market information and analysis.
Already registered for myMLA?