Tuesday daily cattle summary
05 July 2016
Consignments at Toowoomba increased 23% this week, to 1,187 head. Quality varied across young cattle lines particularly, with cows presenting in a similar condition and a good selection of heavy grown cattle penned. The usual group of buyers operated, and young light weight drafts to restockers continued to strengthen.
- Light C2 yearling steers to restockers eased 3¢, averaging 349¢, while medium lines to feed averaged 353¢, up 4¢/kg
- Light C2 yearling heifers to feed averaged 4¢ higher, at 322¢/kg
TRLX Tamworth throughput increased 29%, to 1,773 head. A jump in supply saw yearlings and cows well represented, with quality mixed overall and all the usual buyers in attendance. Those suitable to feeder orders were particularly strong in condition, with heavy steers to processors presenting in a similar fashion.
- Medium C2 yearling steers to feed averaged 8¢ higher, on 371¢/kg
- Heavy C3 grown steers to processors were up 3¢, averaging 351¢/kg
- Medium D2 cows to slaughter eased 9¢, averaging 230¢/kg
Wagga cattle numbers increased 20%, to 4,500 head. The market trended cheaper overall this week, with several processors closed for maintenance, and or not in attendance. Demand for yearling lines held firm, with all light weight categories selling to mostly dearer trends as a result of strong local and northern competition.
- Light C2 yearling steers to restockers gained 5¢, averaging 382¢, while heavy lines to feed eased 7¢, on 351¢/kg
- Heavy C3 yearling heifers to processors dropped 6¢, averaging 334¢/kg
- Heavy D4 cows to slaughter slipped 29¢, averaging 257¢/kg
At the close of Monday’s markets:
- The Eastern Young Cattle Indicator (EYCI) averaged 660.50¢, up 1.25¢/kg cwt on where it finished the previous day
- Trade steers were back 6¢, on 344¢/kg lwt
- Medium steers were up 1¢, on 334¢/kg lwt
- Heavy steers were firm, on 331¢/kg lwt
- Medium cows were back 4¢, at 248¢/kg lwt
- Feeder steers were up 2¢, to 359¢/kg lwt
Note: All yardings and prices referenced are from MLA reported saleyards
Join myMLA today
One username and password for key integrity and information Systems (LPA/NVD, NLIS, MSA & LDL).
A personalised online dashboard that provides news, weather, events and R&D tools relevant to you.
Customised market information and analysis.
Already registered for myMLA?