Tuesday daily cattle summary
07 June 2016
Cattle throughput at Toowoomba decreased 50% this week, to 444 head. Scattered showers across the region saw numbers drop significantly, with quality in most categories following a similar trend. Cows were well supplied, with most buyers operating, and competition for lower quality young cattle strong throughout the sale.
- Medium C2 yearling steers to feed averaged 309¢, back 8¢/kg
- Heavy C4 grown steers to processors finished 6¢ dearer, averaging 290¢/kg
- Heavy D4 cows to slaughter were up 2¢, averaging 240¢/kg
Consignments at TRLX Tamworth declined 56%, to 595 head. Recorded rainfall had a notable effect on yardings, however light and medium weight young cattle were well supplied. Demand for all classes held firm, with restockers particularly active on all lighter classes, resulting in a dearer trend.
- Medium C2 vealer steers to restockers averaged 338¢, up 19¢/kg
- Medium C2 vealer heifers to restockers were 35¢ dearer, averaging 314¢/kg
- Medium C2 yearling steers to feed jumped 8¢, averaging 326¢/kg
Yardings at Wagga continued a similar trend, decreasing 27% to 2,760 head. Wet weather subdued numbers, with a large percentage in store condition and the offering much plainer overall. Bidding from feeder and restocker buyers strengthened, resulting in a dearer trend on lighter weights particularly.
- Heavy C2 yearling steers to feed averaged 327¢, up 9¢/kg
- Medium C2 yearling heifers jumped 13¢, averaging 312¢/kg
- Heavy C3 grown steers to processors jumped 3¢, averaging 304¢/kg
- Heavy D4 cows to slaughter settled 2¢ dearer, averaging 240¢/kg
At the close of Monday’s markets:
- The Eastern Young Cattle Indicator (EYCI) averaged 585.50¢, up 2.75¢/kg cwt on where it finished the previous day
- Trade steers were back 9¢, on 311¢/kg lwt
- Medium steers were back 1¢, on 296¢/kg lwt
- Heavy steers were up 1¢, on 292¢/kg lwt
- Medium cows were up 1¢, on 221¢/kg lwt
- Feeder steers were up 2¢, on 321¢/kg lwt
Note: All yardings and prices referenced are from MLA reported saleyards
Join myMLA today
One username and password for key integrity and information Systems (LPA/NVD, NLIS, MSA & LDL).
A personalised online dashboard that provides news, weather, events and R&D tools relevant to you.
Customised market information and analysis.
Already registered for myMLA?