Tuesday daily cattle summary
10 May 2016
Throughput at Toowoomba held firm week-on-week, at 1,238 head. Quality varied across all categories, with feeder, processor and restocker buyers operating keenly in what was a slightly dearer market. Heavy grown cattle sold mostly to the domestic market, with lighter yearlings well supplied.
- Light C2 vealer heifers to feed averaged 284¢/kg
- Light C2 yearling steers to restockers averaged 313¢/kg
- Light C2 yearling heifers to feed averaged 280¢/kg
Cattle numbers at TRLX Tamworth increased 13%, to 1,577 head. Following recorded showers across parts of the state, numbers lifted slightly, with cows well supplied. Vealers and yearlings were also well represented, with quality fair to good overall. Well finished lines were limited, with the usual buyers in attendance.
- Light C2 vealer steers to restockers averaged 322¢, up 2¢/kg
- Medium C2 yearling steers to feed were 3¢ dearer, averaging 309¢/kg
- Light C2 yearling heifers to restockers averaged 281¢, up 14¢/kg
- Medium D2 cows to processors averaged 183¢, up 4¢/kg
Consignments at Wagga decreased 36% this week, to 2,800 head. Scattered showers saw producers hold onto unfinished stock, resulting in a mixed offering across all categories. All the regular buyers were in attendance, with heavy steers to export were in short supply and a dearer trend underlining the sale.
- Heavy C2 yearling steers to feed averaged 318¢, up 5¢/kg
- Medium C2 yearling heifers to feed were 8¢ dearer, averaging 298¢/kg
- Heavy C3 grown steers to processors averaged 305¢, up 8¢/kg
- Heavy D4 cows to slaughter were up 6¢, averaging 227¢/kg
At the close of Monday’s markets:
- The Eastern Young Cattle Indicator (EYCI) averaged 570.75¢, up 0.75¢/kg cwt on where it finished the previous day
- Trade steers were up 2¢, on 312¢/kg lwt
- Medium steers were back 3¢, on 269¢/kg lwt
- Heavy steers were steady, on 281¢/kg lwt
- Medium cows were up 1¢, on 203¢/kg lwt
- Feeder steers were up 1¢, at 310¢/kg lwt
Note: All yardings and prices referenced are from MLA reported saleyards
Join myMLA today
One username and password for key integrity and information Systems (LPA/NVD, NLIS, MSA & LDL).
A personalised online dashboard that provides news, weather, events and R&D tools relevant to you.
Customised market information and analysis.
Already registered for myMLA?