Tuesday daily cattle summary
18 October 2016
Numbers yarded at Toowoomba fell 35% to 816 head and predominantly consisted of young cattle. Very strong restocker demand saw light weight yearling steers and heifers sell to a dearer trend, while heavier weights could not maintain the prices of the previous week. All classes of export slaughter lines eased week-on-week.
- Light weight C2 yearling steers to restockers gained 1¢, averaging 413¢/kg
- Light C2 yearling heifers to feed were 6¢ dearer, settling on 356¢/kg
- Heavy weight C4 grown steers were 22¢ easier on 306¢/kg
Consignments to Tamworth increased by 25% to 2,217 head of good quality cattle, which included some very good runs of feeder cattle and a larger number of well-conditioned lines off crops.
- Medium weight C2 yearling steers to feed eased 27¢ to average 362¢, while those to restockers were back 8¢ on 380¢/kg
- Light C2 yearling heifers to restockers were 8¢ dearer on 351¢/kg
- Medium weight C3 grown steers to processors were back 18¢ on 315¢/kg
- Heavy weight D4 cows to slaughter were 6¢ cheaper, settling on 245¢/kg
Throughput at Wagga increased to 4,400 head. Secondary cattle made up the bulk of the yearling category and feedlots secured the most numbers, despite restockers being active.
- Heavy C2 yearling steers to processors eased 16¢ to 356¢/kg
- Medium weight C2 yearling heifers to feed were back 16¢ to settle on 345¢ while heavy C3’s to slaughter eased 31¢ to 320¢/kg
- Medium C3 grown steers to slaughter slipped 18¢ to average 328¢/kg
- Heavy D4 cows to processors were back 9¢ to 268¢/kg
At the close of Monday’s markets:
- The Eastern Young Cattle Indicator (EYCI) settled on 696.75¢, down 9.25¢/kg cwt from where it was the previous day
- Trade steers were back 7¢, on 369¢/kg lwt
- Medium steers eased 2¢, on 326¢/kg lwt
- Heavy steers slipped 1¢, on 319¢/kg lwt
- Medium cows eased 1¢,on 248¢/kg lwt
- Feeder steers finished 2¢ easier, on 376¢/kg lwt
Note: All yardings and prices referenced are from MLA reported saleyards
Join myMLA today
One username and password for key integrity and information Systems (LPA/NVD, NLIS, MSA & LDL).
A personalised online dashboard that provides news, weather, events and R&D tools relevant to you.
Customised market information and analysis.
Already registered for myMLA?