Tuesday daily cattle summary
21 June 2016
Consignments at TRLX Tamworth near doubled the previous sale a fortnight ago, to 1,230 head. The quality and condition of cattle was mixed, with the bulk comprising of heavy young feeder cattle. The usual buyers attended, with an increased number from the domestic trade.
- Heavy C2 yearling steers to feed were up 51¢/kg, averaging 369¢/kg
- Medium C2 grown steers to feed were firm, averaging 347¢/kg
- Light D2 manufacturing steers to processors averaged 234¢/kg, up 22¢/kg
Cattle numbers at Wagga increased 67%, to 4,100 head. Quality was mixed, with most yearling cattle lacking finish. The usual group of buyers were in attendance, with a stronger presence of export buyers from the north and south. Bidding from interstate restockers pushed the price up for light weight steers and heifers.
- Heavy C2 yearling steers to feed averaged 348¢/kg, up 22¢/kg
- Medium C2 yearling steers to feed averaged 351¢/kg and were 20¢/kg dearer
- Medium C2 yearling heifers to feed increased by 11¢/kg, averaging 323¢/kg
- Heavy D3 cows to processors jumped 33¢/kg, to an average of 262¢/kg
Pakenham cattle numbers increased slightly, to 960 head. The mixed quality yarding comprised mostly of export lines and younger cattle. The usual buyer group was present competing in a dearer market overall.
- Medium C2 yearling steers to feed were up 5¢/kg, averaging 320¢/kg
- Heavy D3 yearling heifers to processors averaged 322¢/kg, increasing 21¢/kg
- Heavy C3 grown steers to processors were dearer by 5¢/kg, averaging 328¢/kg
At the close of Monday’s markets:
- The Eastern Young Cattle Indicator (EYCI) averaged 625.25¢, up 6¢/kg cwt on where it finished the previous day
- Trade steers were down 1¢, at 338¢/kg lwt
- Medium steers were up 6¢, to 314¢/kg lwt
- Heavy steers remained firm, at 314¢/kg lwt
- Medium cows were up 2¢, to 243¢/kg lwt
- Feeder steers remained firm, to 347¢/kg lwt
Note: All yardings and prices referenced are from MLA reported saleyards
Join myMLA today
One username and password for key integrity and information Systems (LPA/NVD, NLIS, MSA & LDL).
A personalised online dashboard that provides news, weather, events and R&D tools relevant to you.
Customised market information and analysis.
Already registered for myMLA?