Tuesday daily cattle summary
28 June 2016
Cattle numbers at Toowoomba more than doubled this week, to 962 head. Quality was mixed, with the usual buyers present and competing in a much dearer market. Light weight yearlings were highly sought after by restockers, with the majority of medium and heavy weights selling strongly to feeder buyers.
- Light C2 yearling steers to restockers gained 17¢, averaging 352¢/kg
- Light C2 yearling heifers to feed averaged 318¢, up 17¢/kg
- Heavy C4 bullocks to processors averaged 55¢ higher, at 358¢/kg
Cattle consignments at TRLX Tamworth increased 12%, to 1,376 head. Quality was mostly good, with a fair selection of well finished cattle. Both feeder and restocker orders were well supplied and all the usual buyers were in operation.
- Light C2 yearling steers to restockers gained 15¢, averaging 368¢/kg
- Light C2 yearling heifers to feed were up 20¢, averaging 344¢/kg
- Medium C2 grown steers to feed averaged 12¢ higher, at 359¢/kg
- Medium D2 cows to processors finished 5¢ higher, averaging 240¢/kg
Throughput at Wagga declined 9%, to 3,745 head. Quality improved week-on-week, with yearling and cow categories well represented. The usual buyers were in attendance, and processors were eager to secure supplementary fed stock, resulting in a dearer trend.
- Heavy C2 yearling steers to feed gained 10¢, averaging 358¢/kg
- Medium C2 yearling heifers to feed settled 17¢ dearer, averaging 340¢/kg
- Heavy C3 grown steers to processors gained 19¢, averaging 342¢/kg
- Heavy D4 cows to slaughter averaged 286¢, up 10¢/kg
At the close of Monday’s markets:
- The Eastern Young Cattle Indicator (EYCI) averaged 647.50¢, up 6.50¢/kg cwt on where it finished the previous day
- Trade steers were up 7¢, to 350¢/kg lwt
- Medium steers were back 1¢, to 337¢/kg lwt
- Heavy steers were steady, on 324¢/kg lwt
- Medium cows were up 1¢, to 255¢/kg lwt
- Feeder steers were up 5¢, to 356¢/kg lwt
Note: All yardings and prices referenced are from MLA reported saleyards
Join myMLA today
One username and password for key integrity and information Systems (LPA/NVD, NLIS, MSA & LDL).
A personalised online dashboard that provides news, weather, events and R&D tools relevant to you.
Customised market information and analysis.
Already registered for myMLA?