Tuesday daily cattle summary
19 July 2016
Cattle numbers at Toowoomba declined 29% this week, to 615 head. Rainfall across the supply area tightened supplies, and overall quality of young cattle lines was mixed. Older drafts were particularly strong, with heavy grown steers and bullocks presenting in good condition.
- Light C2 yearling steers to restockers gained 1¢, to 357¢/kg
- Medium D3 yearling heifers to processors averaged 285¢, up 3¢/kg
- Heavy D4 cows to slaughter were up 6¢, to 278¢/kg
Throughput at TRLX Tamworth increased 10%, to 1,159 head. Young cattle were well supplied, along with a few drafts of well finished heavy steers. Quality was fairly strong, however a substantial dairy cow yarding saw condition vary. The usual buyers operated, along with an extra processor this week.
- Medium C2 yearling steers to feed averaged 373¢, up 9¢/kg
- Light C2 grown heifers to feed were up 23¢, to 317¢/kg
- Medium D2 cows to processors gained 4¢, to 221¢/kg
Wagga cattle consignments increased 16%, to 2,900 head. The market trended dearer overall this week, despite quality varying across most categories. Strong feedlot, processor, and northern restocker demand all had an effect, with the bulk of the yarding weaners and yearlings in store condition.
- Heavy C2 yearling steers to feed gained 5¢, to 359¢/kg
- Heavy C2 yearling heifers to feed were up 12¢, to 345¢/kg
- Heavy C3 grown steers to processors held firm, averaging 342¢/kg
- Heavy D2 cows to slaughter finished 2¢ lower, averaging 243¢/kg
At the close of Tuesday’s markets:
- The Eastern Young Cattle Indicator (EYCI) averaged 659¢, up 3¢/kg cwt on where it finished the previous day
- Trade steers were firm, on 350¢/kg lwt
- Medium steers were back 2¢, on 335¢/kg lwt
- Heavy steers were back 1¢, on 324¢/kg lwt
- Medium cows were back 1¢, on 246¢/kg lwt
- Feeder steers were up 2¢, to 361¢/kg lwt
Note: All yardings and prices referenced are from MLA reported saleyards
Join myMLA today
One username and password for key integrity and information Systems (LPA/NVD, NLIS, MSA & LDL).
A personalised online dashboard that provides news, weather, events and R&D tools relevant to you.
Customised market information and analysis.
Already registered for myMLA?