Tuesday daily cattle summary
01 September 2015
Throughput at Toowoomba Elders declined 29%, to 650 head, following useful rain across the supply area. Additional restockers joined the usual panel of trade and feeder buyers and some export processors returned to what was a dearer market.
- Light (200-280kg) C2 yearling steers to restockers jumped 14¢, averaging 314¢/kg
- Medium C2 yearling feeder steers eased 10¢, averaging 294¢/kg
- Medium C3 yearling feeder heifers sold from 280¢ to 292¢, to average 287¢/kg
- Medium C3 grown feeder steers gained 23¢, averaging 302¢/kg
- Medium D4 cows to slaughter averaged 250¢, up 2¢/kg
Supplies at TRLX Tamworth were steady, at 1,492 head, and quality remained mixed. All the regular buyers were in attendance in a market where trends varied, in part due to quality.
- Light (280-330kg) C2 yearling steers and heifers to restockers averaged 303¢ and 285¢, respectively, back 14¢ and up 4¢/kg week-on-week
- Light D2 grown steers, also to restockers, jumped 27¢, averaging 243¢/kg
- Light D2 grown heifers to slaughter averaged 233¢, selling from 218¢ to 238¢/kg
- Medium D3 cows eased 7¢, averaging 239¢/kg
Consignments at Wagga declined 29%, with just 2,000 head yarded. Quality remained mixed and the bulk of trade cattle were crop finished or supplementary fed. Additional feeder and restocker competition joined the usual panel of domestic and export processors and prices lifted.
- Medium C2 yearling feeder steers improved 5¢, averaging 338¢/kg
- Heavy C3 lines to slaughter jumped 11¢, averaging 350¢/kg
- Medium C2 yearling feeder heifers improved 9¢, averaging 310¢/kg
- Heavy C3 lines to slaughter gained 11¢, averaging 330¢/kg
- Heavy C3 grown steers improved 6¢, averaging 339¢/kg
- Heavy D4 cows averaged 269¢, up 9¢/kg week-on-week
At the close of Monday’s markets:
- The Eastern Young Cattle Indicator (EYCI) settled at 572.00¢, up 0.25¢/kg cwt on where it finished last week
- Trade steers averaged 322¢, up 4¢/kg lwt
- Feeder steers averaged 312¢, back 4¢/kg lwt
- Medium steers averaged 320¢, up 3¢/kg lwt
- Heavy steers averaged 321¢, up 5¢/kg lwt
- Medium cows averaged 238¢/kg lwt, steady
Note: All yardings and prices referenced are from MLA’s National Livestock Reporting Service (NLRS) reported saleyards.
Join myMLA today
One username and password for key integrity and information Systems (LPA/NVD, NLIS, MSA & LDL).
A personalised online dashboard that provides news, weather, events and R&D tools relevant to you.
Customised market information and analysis.
Already registered for myMLA?