Tuesday daily cattle summary
20 October 2015
Throughput at Toowoomba Elders declined 25%, to 958 head, and quality also deteriorated. A fair panel of buyers were present and most operated. The better quality end of the young cattle market sold at similar rates to last week but plainer types and grown cattle mostly eased.
- Heavy C3 yearling feeder steers improved 4¢, averaging 292¢/kg
- Medium C3 yearling heifers to the trade jumped 18¢, averaging 288¢/kg
- C4 bullocks to slaughter eased 14¢, averaging 280¢/kg
- Heavy D4 cows were back 16¢, at 230¢/kg
Consignments at TRLX Tamworth more than halved, to 1,343 head, as vendors responded to falling prices. The yarding, of mostly yearlings, was in fair to good condition and the usual panel of buyers were in attendance.
- Heavy C2 yearling feeder steers eased 6¢, averaging 289¢/kg
- Medium C3 yearling heifers to feed on declined 8¢, averaging 275¢/kg
- Heavy C3 grown steers to slaughter improved 9¢, averaging 284¢/kg
- Heavy D4 cows slipped 19¢, averaging 214¢/kg
Wagga yarded 3,285 head, back 38% week-on-week, with the cheaper trend halting the flow of cattle. Quality continued to be mixed and there was reduced restocker interest and no major feedlots operating. Trade heifers were in reasonable supply but trade steers, grown steers and bullocks were limited. Prices continued to ease across most categories.
- Heavy C2 yearling feeder steers eased 7¢, averaging 289¢ and selling to 315¢/kg
- Heavy C3 yearling trade heifers lost 8¢, averaging 264¢/kg
- Heavy C3 grown steers to slaughter eased 10¢, averaging 273¢/kg
- Despite additional northern export processor competition, heavy D4 cows were back 5¢, averaging 218¢/kg
At the close of Monday’s markets:
- The Eastern Young Cattle Indicator (EYCI) settled at 525.50¢, back 2.75¢/kg cwt on where it finished last week
- Trade steers averaged 276¢, back 3¢/kg lwt
- Medium steers averaged 266¢, up 2¢/kg lwt
- Heavy steers averaged 273¢, back 1¢/kg lwt
- Medium cows averaged 200¢, back 2¢/kg lwt
- Feeder steers averaged 289¢, back 1¢/kg lwt
Note: All yardings and prices referenced are from MLA reported saleyards
Join myMLA today
One username and password for key integrity and information Systems (LPA/NVD, NLIS, MSA & LDL).
A personalised online dashboard that provides news, weather, events and R&D tools relevant to you.
Customised market information and analysis.
Already registered for myMLA?