Tuesday daily cattle summary
29 September 2015
Toowoomba Elders throughput increased 8% week-on week to 642 head and there was a wide variation in the standard of young cattle. The quality of the smaller supply of heavy grown steers and bullocks was strong, while the standard of the cows was very mixed. The usual panel of export buyers was present however not all were operating.
- Medium C3 yearling steers to feed slipped 16¢, averaging 312¢/kg
- Light C2 yearling heifers to processors increased 4¢, averaging 281¢/kg
- C4 bullock’s increased 2¢, averaging 316¢/kg
- Heavy D4 cows jumped 11¢, to average 273¢/kg
Consignments eased slightly at TRLX Tamworth, down 4% yarding 1,429 head. Quality was mixed with all categories showing varying levels of finish. The usual buyers were in attendance and along with extra restocker activity, competition increased for most classes.
- Medium C2 yearling steers to feed slipped 6¢, averaging 323¢/kg
- Medium C3 yearling heifers to feed were down 3¢, to average 313¢/kg
- Heavy C3 grown steers were back 7¢, averaging 310¢/kg
- Heavy D4 cows eased 2¢, to average 267¢/kg
Throughput at Wagga lifted 10% to yard 4,050 head. Quality was notably higher week-on-week however thinned out across the lighter lines. The usual domestic buyers were present, along with increased export competition from the north for heavy beef cows. Steady feedlot competition also added to the mix, while restocker demand relaxed.
- Medium C2 yearling steers to feed eased 2¢, averaging 339¢, while the heavy lines improved 3¢, averaging 335¢/kg
- Heavy C2 yearling steers increased 3¢, to average 335¢/kg
- Heavy C3 yearling heifers to slaughter jumped 7¢, averaging 317¢/kg
- Heavy C3 grown steers increased 3¢, averaging 328¢/kg
- Heavy D4 cows jumped 10¢, averaging 272¢/kg
At the close of Monday’s markets:
- The Eastern Young Cattle Indicator (EYCI) finished at 593.25¢/kg cwt
- Trade steers averaged 319¢, down 1¢/kg lwt
- Feeder steers averaged 329¢, up 1¢/kg lwt
- Medium steers averaged 305¢, down 1¢/kg lwt
- Heavy steers averaged 316¢, up 1¢/kg lwt
- Medium cows averaged 244¢, up 1¢/kg lwt
Note: All yardings and prices referenced are from MLA reported saleyards
Join myMLA today
One username and password for key integrity and information Systems (LPA/NVD, NLIS, MSA & LDL).
A personalised online dashboard that provides news, weather, events and R&D tools relevant to you.
Customised market information and analysis.
Already registered for myMLA?