Tuesday daily cattle summary
26 July 2016
Consignments at Toowoomba increased 24% this week, to 765 head. A mixed quality line-up of young cattle made up the bulk of the yarding following the rain affected sale the week prior. Yearling steers and heifers sold to strong demand, with restockers particularly active throughout.
- Light C2 yearling steers to restockers gained 8¢, averaging 365¢/kg
- Light C2 yearling heifers to feed averaged 326¢, up 3¢/kg
- Medium D2 cows to processors were up 4¢, averaging 233¢/kg
Throughput at TRLX Tamworth declined 25%, to 864 head. Weaner and yearling sections made up the majority of the yarding, while cows were also well represented. Quality was much plainer than the week prior, with a larger number of light weight cattle on offer and the market stronger overall.
- Medium C2 vealer steers to restockers eased 4¢, averaging 375¢/kg
- Medium C2 vealer heifers to restockers averaged 13¢ dearer, at 348¢/kg
- Light C2 yearling heifers to feed were up 1¢, averaging 345¢/kg
Wagga cattle numbers decreased 31%, to 2,010 head. A dearer trend underlined this weeks sale, with quality notably mixed as a result of the cold and wet conditions. The usual buyers were present, with store conditioned weaner and yearling categories well represented and cow selections limited.
- Heavy C2 yearling steers to feed averaged 7¢ higher, at 366¢/kg
- Medium C2 yearling heifers to feed were up 8¢, averaging 352¢/kg
- Heavy C3 grown steers to slaughter gained 14¢, averaging 356¢/kg
At the close of Monday’s markets:
- The Eastern Young Cattle Indicator (EYCI) averaged 661.25¢, back 0.50¢/kg cwt on where it finished the previous day
- Trade steers were up 6¢, on 363¢/kg lwt
- Medium steers were up 1¢, on 348¢/kg lwt
- Heavy steers were back 4¢, on 330¢/kg lwt
- Medium cows were up 2¢, on 254¢/kg lwt
- Feeder steers were up 1¢, to 367
- ¢/kg lwt
Note: All yardings and prices referenced are from MLA reported saleyards
Join myMLA today
One username and password for key integrity and information Systems (LPA/NVD, NLIS, MSA & LDL).
A personalised online dashboard that provides news, weather, events and R&D tools relevant to you.
Customised market information and analysis.
Already registered for myMLA?