Tuesday daily cattle summary
15 September 2015
Throughput at Toowoomba Elders lifted 35%, to 908 head, with young cattle in the largest numbers. Competition from feeder buyers, restockers and the trade was strong, lifting yearling steers by 20¢/kg and more in places.
- Medium C3 yearling feeder steers improved 27¢, averaging 325¢ and selling to 341¢/kg
- The same weight and condition heifer lines to feeder buyers eased 1¢, averaging 290¢/kg
- Yearling heifers to the trade slipped by a greater extent, with heavy C3 lines back 37¢, averaging 261¢/kg
- Grown steer numbers were limited but heavy C4 lines averaged 306¢, up 8¢/kg week-on-week
- Heavy D4 cows averaged 262¢, back 2¢/kg
TRLX Tamworth yarded 1,110 head, back 26% week-on-week, but yearlings were well supplied. The quality of the offering continued to improve, with well finished cattle making up a larger percentage of the yarding. Most of the usual buyers were in attendance but not all were operating in what was a mostly dearer market.
- Medium C2 yearling feeder steers improved 5¢, averaging 329¢/kg
- Medium C3 yearling feeder heifers gained 1¢, averaging 312¢/kg
- Heavy C3 grown steers to slaughter eased 8¢, to average 291¢/kg
- Heavy D4 cows increased 6¢, averaging 257¢/kg
Consignments at Wagga increased 19% but remained below yardings of recent months, at 2,800 head. Quality improved, with the bulk of trade yearlings grass finished. Restocker demand was very strong on light weight store condition steers and heifers. There was some feedlot competition and the domestic buyers were in attendance, however not all export processors were operating.
- Heavy C2 yearling steers to feeder buyers were steady, averaging 333¢/kg
- Light C2 yearling heifers returning to the paddock lifted 23¢, averaging 318¢/kg
- Heavy C3 yearling heifers to the trade improved 12¢, averaging 319¢ and selling to 338¢/kg
- Heavy C3 grown steers improved 6¢, averaging 324¢/kg
- Heavy D4 cows gained 3¢, averaging 266¢/kg
At the close of Monday’s markets:
- The Eastern Young Cattle Indicator (EYCI) settled at 586.25¢, up 1.75¢/kg cwt on where it finished last week
- Trade steers averaged 329¢, up 7¢/kg lwt
- Feeder steers averaged 321¢, up 3¢/kg lwt
- Medium steers averaged 303¢, up 1¢/kg lwt
- Heavy steers averaged 309¢, back 1¢/kg lwt
- Medium cows averaged 241¢, up 1¢/kg lwt
Note: All yardings and prices referenced are from MLA reported saleyards
Join myMLA today
One username and password for key integrity and information Systems (LPA/NVD, NLIS, MSA & LDL).
A personalised online dashboard that provides news, weather, events and R&D tools relevant to you.
Customised market information and analysis.
Already registered for myMLA?