Tuesday daily cattle summary
08 September 2015
Throughput at Toowoomba Elders increased 4%, to 674 head, and there was a wide variation in quality. A good line-up of restockers joined the usual panel of export processor and feeder buyers and prices mostly improved.
- Medium C2 yearling feeder steers gained 12¢, averaging 305¢/kg
- Medium C3 yearling heifers to the same orders improved 4¢, averaging 291¢/kg
- Heavy C4 grown steers increased 12¢, averaging 298¢/kg
- Heavy D4 cows improved 6¢, averaging 264¢/kg
Consignments to TRLX Tamworth were steady, at 1,505 head, with yearlings making up the majority. Quality continued to be mixed, with some crop finished cattle on offer, in addition to some showing the effects of winter conditions. There was extra processor competition.
- Medium C2 yearling feeder steers improved 13¢, averaging 324¢/kg
- Medium C3 yearling heifers to the same orders improved 14¢, to average 311¢/kg
- C4 bullocks eased 1¢, averaging 297¢/kg
- Medium D3 cows to slaughter slipped 8¢, averaging 231¢/kg
Supplies at Wagga increased slightly, to 2,350 head, with increased numbers of light weight cattle in plainer store condition on offer. Trade yearlings were in reasonable supply, with the bulk supplementary fed, while grown steers and bullocks were in shorter supply. There was additional local and northern restocker competition but not all export processors were in attendance or operated fully.
- Medium and heavy C2 yearling feeder steers eased 5¢ and 2¢, respectively, with both averaging 333¢/kg
- Heavy C3 yearling heifers to the trade slipped 22¢, averaging 307¢ and selling to 332¢/kg
- Heavy C3 grown steers lost 21¢, partly due to varied quality, averaging 318¢/kg
- Medium D3 cows to slaughter eased 13¢, averaging 236¢/kg
At the close of Monday’s markets:
- The Eastern Young Cattle Indicator (EYCI) settled at 578.25¢, up 1.75¢/kg cwt on where it finished last week
- Trade steers averaged 321¢, back 5¢/kg lwt
- Feeder steers averaged 317¢, up 1¢/kg lwt
- Medium steers averaged 292¢, back 5¢/kg lwt
- Heavy steers averaged 315¢/kg lwt, steady
- Medium cows averaged 239¢, back 2¢/kg lwt
Note: All yardings and prices referenced are from MLA’s National Livestock Reporting Service (NLRS) reported saleyards.
Join myMLA today
One username and password for key integrity and information Systems (LPA/NVD, NLIS, MSA & LDL).
A personalised online dashboard that provides news, weather, events and R&D tools relevant to you.
Customised market information and analysis.
Already registered for myMLA?