Tuesday daily cattle summary
18 August 2015
Consignments at Toowoomba Elders jumped 78%, to 996 head, with a fair representation from all classes. Young light weight cattle received additional restocker support and medium and heavy weight lines continued to be in demand by feedlots. Prices averaged mostly firm to dearer.
- Medium C2 yearling feeder steers eased 1¢, averaging 301¢/kg
- The female portion to the same orders sold from 250¢ to 280¢, averaging 270¢/kg
- C4 bullocks improved 4¢, averaging 284¢/kg
- Medium D4 cows to slaughter were steady, at 244¢/kg
Throughput at TRLX Tamworth increased 50%, to 2,186 head, and quality was mostly good, with increased numbers of crop and supplementary fed cattle on offer. There was increased competition from export processors and the regular feeder buyers were in attendance.
- Medium C2 yearling feeder steers gained 6¢, to average 320¢/kg
- Heavy C3 yearling heifers to the trade improved 10¢, averaging 299¢/kg
- Heavy C3 grown steers increased 5¢, averaging 309¢ and selling to a top of 335¢/kg
- Medium D2 cows to slaughter eased 9¢, averaging 211¢/kg
Wagga yarded 2,780 head, back 19% week-on-week, and quality was very mixed, with some cattle drawn from as far north as Longreach. Most of the young trade cattle were crop finished or supplementary fed, as were the better finished lines of the grown steers and bullocks. Most young cattle prices held firm while the majority of export lines eased from last week’s prices.
- Medium C2 yearling feeder steers eased 1¢, averaging 334¢/kg
- Heavy C3 trade heifers improved 6¢, to average 327¢/kg
- Heavy C3 grown steers eased 7¢, averaging 338¢/kg
- Heavy D4 cows slipped 16¢, averaging 267¢/kg
At the close of Monday’s markets:
- The Eastern Young Cattle Indicator (EYCI) settled at 568.25¢/kg cwt, steady on where if finished last week
- Trade steers averaged 321¢, back 1¢/kg lwt
- Feeder steers averaged 313¢, back 1¢/kg lwt
- Medium steers averaged 304¢, back 3¢/kg lwt
- Heavy steers averaged 318¢, back 1¢/kg lwt
- Medium cows averaged 233¢/kg lwt, steady
Note: All yardings and prices referenced are from MLA’s National Livestock Reporting Service (NLRS) reported saleyards.
Join myMLA today
One username and password for key integrity and information Systems (LPA/NVD, NLIS, MSA & LDL).
A personalised online dashboard that provides news, weather, events and R&D tools relevant to you.
Customised market information and analysis.
Already registered for myMLA?