Tuesday daily cattle summary
11 August 2015
Consignments at Toowoomba Elders declined slightly, to 561 head. With a full field of buyers operating, the better quality young cattle sold to a dearer trend while the remainder held firm.
- Heavy C2 yearling feeder steers were steady, averaging 279¢ and selling to 290¢/kg
- Medium C3 yearling heifers to the trade eased 9¢, averaging 262¢/kg
- Medium D2 and D3 beef cows sold from 200¢ to 236¢/kg
Throughput at TRLX Tamworth declined 14%, to 1,454 head, and quality was fair to good, with crop finished and supplementary fed cattle well supplied. An additional southern processor joined the full field of buyers.
- Medium C2 yearling feeder steers improved 8¢, averaging 314¢ and selling to 331¢/kg
- Heavy C3 yearling heifers to the trade improved 3¢, averaging 299¢/kg
- Medium C2 grown feeder steers gained 11¢, averaging 304¢/kg
- Light C3 grown heifers to slaughter eased 11¢, averaging 271¢/kg
- Cows were limited and medium D3 lines improved 12¢, averaging 236¢/kg
Wagga yarded 3,445 head, up 2% week-on-week, and quality was very mixed, with some lines of winter affected, not so well bred cattle offered. Young trade cattle were in reasonable supply, with most coming off crop or supplementary feed. Some feeder and restocker buyers joined the usual panel of domestic and export processors.
- Heavy C2 yearling feeder steers eased 2¢, averaging 335¢/kg
- Heavy C3 yearling heifers to the trade slipped 10¢, averaging 321¢/kg
- Heavy C3 grown steers to slaughter improved 1¢, averaging 345¢ and selling to a top of 367¢/kg (or an estimated 679¢/kg cwt)
- Heavy D4 cows improved 7¢, averaging 283¢/kg
At the close of Monday’s markets:
- The Eastern Young Cattle Indicator (EYCI) settled at 565.50¢/kg cwt, steady on where it finished last week
- Trade steers averaged 329¢, back 3¢/kg lwt
- Feeder steers averaged 311¢, up 3¢/kg lwt
- Medium steers averaged 310¢, up 8¢/kg lwt
- Heavy steers averaged 316¢/kg lwt, steady
- Medium cows averaged 234¢, up 1¢/kg lwt
Note: All yardings and prices referenced are from MLA’s National Livestock Reporting Service (NLRS) reported saleyards.
Join myMLA today
One username and password for key integrity and information Systems (LPA/NVD, NLIS, MSA & LDL).
A personalised online dashboard that provides news, weather, events and R&D tools relevant to you.
Customised market information and analysis.
Already registered for myMLA?