Tuesday daily cattle summary
04 August 2015
Throughput at Toowoomba Elders declined 18%, with 572 head offered. The usual export buyers were present, but not all operating, and were joined by the usual feeder and trade buyers and some restockers. The market trended dearer, particularly on the young cattle category.
- Medium C2 yearling feeder steers improved 11¢, to average 283¢/kg
- Light (200-280kg) C2 yearling feeder heifers increased 3¢, averaging 257¢/kg
- Heavy D4 cows gained 14¢, averaging 248¢/kg
Supplies at TRLX Tamworth lifted 45%, to 1,685 head. Yearlings made up the bulk of the offering and quality was mixed. A full field of buyers competed but price trends varied, in part due to quality.
- Light (280-330kg) C2 yearling steers to feed on averaged 317¢, up 20¢/kg
- The same condition medium weights to the same orders eased 6¢, averaging 306¢/kg
- Medium C3 yearling heifers to the trade were steady, at 295¢/kg
- Medium D3 cows to slaughter eased 5¢, to average 224¢/kg
Consignments at Wagga were steady, at 3,385 head. Some lines of young cattle were winter affected but good numbers of crop finished and supplementary fed yearlings were also offered. The usual buyers were present and prices trended dearer.
- Medium C2 yearling feeder steers improved 8¢, averaging 337¢/kg
- Heavy C3 yearling trade steers jumped 22¢, averaging 354¢/kg (or an estimated 656¢/kg cwt)
- Medium weight C2 yearling heifers to feed on gained 16¢, to average 316¢/kg
- Heavy C3 trade heifers improved 6¢, averaging 331¢/kg
- Heavy C3 grown steers jumped 20¢, averaging 344¢/kg
- Heavy D4 cows improved 9¢, to average 276¢/kg
At the close of Monday’s markets:
- The Eastern Young Cattle Indicator (EYCI) finished at 561.00¢, up 2.50¢/kg cwt on where it finished last week
- Trade steers averaged 323¢, up 6¢/kg lwt
- Feeder steers averaged 311¢, back 1¢/kg lwt
- Medium steers were up 3¢, at 307¢/kg lwt
- Heavy steers averaged 312¢, up 2¢/kg lwt
- Medium cows averaged 228¢/kg, steady
Note: All yardings and prices referenced are from MLA’s National Livestock Reporting Service (NLRS) reported saleyards.
Join myMLA today
One username and password for key integrity and information Systems (LPA/NVD, NLIS, MSA & LDL).
A personalised online dashboard that provides news, weather, events and R&D tools relevant to you.
Customised market information and analysis.
Already registered for myMLA?