Tuesday daily cattle summary
06 September 2016
This week at Toowoomba, cattle throughput declined 39% to 500 head. It was a mixed offering, with plenty of buyers operating. All consignments were sourced locally, with good conditioned bullocks attracting strong processor competition and spirited bidding for yearling lines seen between restockers and feeders.
- Light C2 yearling steers to restockers eased 4¢, averaging 380¢/kg
- Light D2 yearling heifers to restockers averaged 35¢ lower, at 318¢/kg
- Heavy C4 grown steers to processors gained 4¢, averaging 326¢/kg
Throughput at TRLX Tamworth declined 25%, to 574 head. Young cattle made up the bulk of the yarding this week, with only a smaller offering of grown cattle penned. Quality was fairly good, with most cattle supplementary fed and the market slightly softer in sections.
- Medium C2 yearling steers to feed were back 19¢, averaging 369¢/kg
- Medium C2 yearling heifers to feed eased 12¢, averaging 353¢/kg
- Medium D3 cows to slaughter were up 21¢, averaging 262¢/kg
Cattle numbers at Wagga decreased 38%, to 2,045 head. Wet conditions saw supplies reduced, with access issues having an influence on overall yardings. Cattle sold to robust competition, with young cattle in store condition making up the majority and quality varying across trade categories in particular, as plenty lacked finish.
- Medium C2 yearling steers to feed were back 1¢, averaging 385¢/kg
- Heavy C3 yearling heifers to processors were up 2¢, averaging 363¢/kg
- Heavy D3 cows to slaughter finished 1¢ cheaper, averaging 276¢/kg
At the close of Monday’s markets:
- The Eastern Young Cattle Indicator (EYCI) finished at 706.25¢, up 1.25¢ on where it had finished the previous day
- Trade steers were back 3¢, to 370¢/kg lwt
- Medium steers were up 4¢, to 337¢/kg lwt
- Heavy steers held firm, on 332¢/kg lwt
- Medium cows were back 4¢, on 255¢/kg lwt
- Feeder steers were back 1¢, on 380¢/kg lwt
Note: All yardings and prices referenced are from MLA reported saleyards
Join myMLA today
One username and password for key integrity and information Systems (LPA/NVD, NLIS, MSA & LDL).
A personalised online dashboard that provides news, weather, events and R&D tools relevant to you.
Customised market information and analysis.
Already registered for myMLA?