Tuesday daily cattle summary
20 September 2016
Throughput at Toowoomba declined 47% this week, to 243 head. Most classes were represented despite the rain effected yarding, with not all the regular buyers operating. The market remained firm, with only a few pens of export suitable sections selling strongly.
- Medium C2 vealer steers to restockers eased 4¢, averaging 387¢/kg
- Medium C2 vealer heifers to slaughter were back 7¢, averaging 349¢/kg
- Light C2 yearling heifers to restockers gained 6¢, averaging 358¢/kg
Consignments at TRLX Tamworth decreased 58%, to 542 head. Widespread showers saw numbers tighten once again, with yearling steers well represented. Young cattle made up the bulk of the yarding, and most were best suited to restocker and feeder orders
- Medium C2 vealer steers to restockers averaged 24¢ higher, at 436¢/kg
- Light C2 yearling steers to restockers were up 5¢, averaging 407¢/kg
- Medium C2 yearling steers to restockers gained 23¢, averaging 397¢/kg
At Wagga this week, cattle numbers declined 5%, to 2,100 head. Wet conditions continued to disrupt supplies, with vealer and yearling sections selling to much stronger competition as a result. Southern based domestic processors set the platform for the market, and heavier cattle and cows were limited.
- Heavy C2 yearling steers to feed held firm, averaging 372¢/kg
- Heavy C3 yearling heifers to processors were up 13¢, averaging 364¢/kg
- Heavy C4 grown heifers to slaughter were up 15¢, averaging 348¢/kg
At the close of Monday’s markets:
- The Eastern Young Cattle Indicator (EYCI) settled on 716¢, gaining 3¢/kg cwt, on where it had finished the previous day
- Trade steers lifted 1¢ to 380¢/kg lwt
- Medium steers gained 2¢, to 352¢/kg lwt
- Heavy steers held firm on 344¢/kg lwt
- Medium cows were up 1¢, to 258¢/kg lwt
- Feeder steers were back 1¢, on 377¢/kg lwt
Note: All yardings and prices referenced are from MLA reported saleyards
Join myMLA today
One username and password for key integrity and information Systems (LPA/NVD, NLIS, MSA & LDL).
A personalised online dashboard that provides news, weather, events and R&D tools relevant to you.
Customised market information and analysis.
Already registered for myMLA?