Tuesday daily cattle summary
02 August 2016
At Toowoomba, cattle numbers increased 6% this week – to 809 head. Remaining similar to last week’s sale, young cattle were well represented, with quality varying across all categories. The usual field of buyers operated, and restockers were particularly active on good quality light weight yearling steers, resulting in a dearer trend.
- Light C2 yearling steers to restockers were up 14¢, averaging 378¢/kg
- Light C2 yearling heifers to feed averaged 1¢ higher, at 321¢/kg
- Heavy D3 cows to processors were up 2¢, averaging 257¢/kg
Throughput at TRLX Tamworth declined 16%, to 727 head. Weaner and yearling categories made up the bulk of the yarding, with a few additional drafts of grown heifers on offer. Several lines of well-bred cattle were penned, however quality was mixed overall, underpinned by a large percentage presenting in plainer condition.
- Medium D2 vealer steers to restockers were up 15¢, averaging 350¢/kg
- Medium C2 yearling steers to feed were up 19¢, averaging 381¢/kg
- Medium C2 yearling heifers to feed were up 26¢, averaging 370¢/kg
Consignments at Wagga increased 55%, to 3,125 head. The market continued to trend dearer this week, boosted by an improvement in quality seen throughout the offering. Weaner and yearling lines in store condition were well supplied, along with a good penning of cows.
- Medium C2 yearling steers to feed were up 1¢, averaging 376¢/kg
- Medium C2 yearling heifers to feed averaged 354¢, up 2¢/kg
- Heavy D3 cows to processors were up 7¢, averaging 268¢/kg
At the close of Monday’s markets:
- The Eastern Young Cattle Indicator (EYCI) averaged 677¢, up 3.50¢/kg cwt on where it finished the previous day
- Trade steers were up 1¢, on 369¢/kg lwt
- Medium steers held firm, on 337¢/kg lwt
- Heavy steers were up 4¢, on 341¢/kg lwt
- Medium cows were firm, on 253¢/kg lwt
- Feeder steers were up 1¢, to 373¢/kg lwt
Note: All yardings and prices referenced are from MLA reported saleyards
Join myMLA today
One username and password for key integrity and information Systems (LPA/NVD, NLIS, MSA & LDL).
A personalised online dashboard that provides news, weather, events and R&D tools relevant to you.
Customised market information and analysis.
Already registered for myMLA?