Tuesday daily cattle summary
27 September 2016
This week at Toowoomba, cattle numbers lifted significantly – yarding 811 head. Finer weather saw a wider variation in quality week-on-week, with a fair panel of buyers in operation. Restockers continued to be particularly active on lighter weights, resulting in a dearer trend.
- Light C1 yearling steers to restockers averaged 397¢/kg
- Heavy C4 grown steers to processors were up 7¢, averaging 340¢/kg
- Medium D3 cows to slaughter gained 4¢, averaging 250¢/kg
Throughput at TRLX Tamworth more than doubled this week, at 1,167 head. Yearlings were well supplied, and quality was fair to good overall, with well finished cattle continuing to come forward. The majority of the usual processors operated and demand strengthened for most classes throughout the sale.
- Light C2 yearling steers to restockers eased 10¢, averaging 397¢/kg
- Medium C2 yearling heifers to feed gained 17¢, averaging 367¢/kg
- Medium D3 cows to slaughter were back 14¢, averaging 255¢/kg
Cattle consignments at Wagga increased 25% this week, to 2,800 head. Despite the slight increase in yardings, wet conditions continued to subdue local supplies – with quality mixed overall. Trade sections were fairly well represented, with grass finished heifers in good supply.
- Medium C2 vealer steers to restockers held firm, averaging 406¢/kg
- Heavy C2 yearling steers to feed gained 5¢, averaging 377¢/kg
- Heavy C3 yearling heifers to slaughter averaged 4¢ lower, at 360¢/kg
- Heavy C3 grown steers to processors were up 5¢, averaging 363¢/kg
At the close of Monday’s markets:
- The Eastern Young Cattle Indicator (EYCI) settled on 714¢, back 0.75¢/kg cwt, on where it had finished the previous day
- Trade steers were back 7¢ to 379¢/kg lwt
- Medium steers eased 7¢, to 347¢/kg lwt
- Heavy steers were back 5¢, to 352¢/kg lwt
- Medium cows were back 1¢, on 264¢/kg lwt
- Feeder steers were up 1¢, on 384¢/kg lwt
Note: All yardings and prices referenced are from MLA reported saleyards
Join myMLA today
One username and password for key integrity and information Systems (LPA/NVD, NLIS, MSA & LDL).
A personalised online dashboard that provides news, weather, events and R&D tools relevant to you.
Customised market information and analysis.
Already registered for myMLA?