Tuesday daily cattle summary
25 October 2016
This week at Toowoomba, cattle numbers declined 10% to 737 head. Despite the small drop in supply and fair representation of buyers, prices trended cheaper across most classes, with young cattle dominating the yarding. A fair selection of cows were penned and a smaller sample of heavy grown steers were on offer week-on-week.
- Light C2 yearling steers to restockers were back 18¢, at 395¢/kg
- Light C2 yearling heifers to restockers eased 11¢, averaging 357¢/kg
- Heavy D4 cows to processors sold to 251¢, averaging 240¢, back 7¢/kg
Cattle throughput at TRLX Tamworth decreased 55%, to 996 head. Despite significant rainfall across the region, most major categories were well represented, with a full field of buyers present and some added processor interest on secondary lines. Quality was generally good, however condition did vary and demand was generally weaker for all classes.
- Medium C2 yearling steers to feed were up 3¢, averaging 364¢/kg
- Light C2 yearling heifers to restockers were back 30¢, averaging 321¢/kg
- Heavy D4 cows to processors eased 8¢, averaging 237¢/kg
Consignments at Wagga declined 14% this week, to 3,800 head. Yearling sections suitable for the trade were well supplied, with most weight categories presenting in better finish. Quality was good, and grown steers and bullocks were well supplied, while feedlot buyers were notably active on secondary cattle.
- Heavy C2 yearling steers to feed were back 15¢, averaging 342¢/kg
- Heavy C3 yearling heifers to processors sold to 388¢, averaging 319¢/kg
- Heavy D4 cows to slaughter were back 22¢, averaging 246¢/kg
At the close of Monday’s markets:
- The Eastern Young Cattle Indicator (EYCI) settled on 675¢, down 4.75¢/kg cwt from where it was the previous day
- Trade steers were back 6¢, on 351¢/kg lwt
- Medium steers were back 20¢, on 296¢/kg lwt
- Heavy steers slipped 1¢, on 309¢/kg lwt
- Medium cows eased 1¢,on 236¢/kg lwt
- Feeder steers finished 2¢ lower, on 363¢/kg lwt
Note: All yardings and prices referenced are from MLA reported saleyards
Join myMLA today
One username and password for key integrity and information Systems (LPA/NVD, NLIS, MSA & LDL).
A personalised online dashboard that provides news, weather, events and R&D tools relevant to you.
Customised market information and analysis.
Already registered for myMLA?