Tuesday daily cattle summary
01 November 2016
Toowoomba cattle throughput increased 80% this week, to 1,323 head. A larger number of young cattle were penned, along with a fair supply of those suitable for export and some good quality lines seen throughout. Most of the regular buyers were in attendance, with all competing in a firm to dearer market.
- Heavy C3 yearling steers to feed gained 2¢, averaging 335¢/kg
- Light C2 yearling heifers to feed slipped 2¢, averaging 349¢/kg
- Heavy D4 cows to processors sold to 258¢, averaging 248¢, up 9¢/kg
At TRLX Tamworth, numbers increased 9% to 1,090 head. Yearling sections were well supplied, along with a few heavier older drafts. Overall, quality and condition across the offering was fair to good, with the usual buyers operating, however restocker demand eased on the highs recorded in previous weeks.
- Medium C2 yearling steers to feed were back 5¢, averaging 359¢/kg
- Medium C2 yearling heifers to feed slipped 1¢, averaging 329¢/kg
- Heavy D4 cows to slaughter gained 7¢, averaging 243¢/kg
Cattle consignments remained similar at Wagga this week, yarding 3,800 head. Most categories presented in better finish, with yearling lines well supplied. Demand from feedlotters set the platform for the market, with grown cattle reasonably well represented and quality particularly strong.
- Heavy C2 yearling steers to feed were up 5¢, averaging 346¢/kg
- Medium C2 yearling feeder heifers sold to 347¢, averaging 328¢, back 9¢/kg
- Heavy C3 grown steers to processors eased 1¢, averaging 319¢/kg
- Heavy D3 cows to slaughter finished 2¢ lower, averaging 238¢/kg
At the close of Monday’s markets:
- The Eastern Young Cattle Indicator (EYCI) finished at 664.75¢, down 0.75¢/kg cwt from where it settled the previous day
- Trade steers were back 4¢, on 346¢/kg lwt
- Medium steers were up 6¢, on 317¢/kg lwt
- Heavy steers held firm on 302¢/kg lwt
- Medium cows were back 1¢,on 231¢/kg lwt
- Feeder steers held steady at 358¢/kg lwt
Note: All yardings and prices referenced are from MLA reported saleyards
Join myMLA today
One username and password for key integrity and information Systems (LPA/NVD, NLIS, MSA & LDL).
A personalised online dashboard that provides news, weather, events and R&D tools relevant to you.
Customised market information and analysis.
Already registered for myMLA?