Tuesday daily cattle summary
08 November 2016
Cattle throughput at Toowoomba decreased 22%, to 1,026 head. Young cattle quality varied this week, with only a small selection of grown steers penned. Buyer activity remained subdued compared to the previous sale and a cheaper trend underlining the market.
- Light C2 yearling steers to restockers were back 47¢, to 359¢/kg
- Light C2 yearling heifers to processors gained 7¢, averaging 346¢/kg
- Heavy D4 cows to slaughter eased 5¢, averaging 243¢/kg
Numbers at TRLX Tamworth increased 9%, to 1,190 head. Younger sections were well supplied this week, with a fair supply of cows also on offer to most of the regular buyers that attended. Quality was generally good, and plainer conditioned sections were limited compared to the previous sale.
- Light C2 yearling steers to restockers held firm, averaging 374¢/kg
- Medium c2 yearling heifers to feed were back 16¢, averaging 314¢/kg
- Heavy d4 cows to processors eased 3¢, averaging 240¢/kg
Consignments at Wagga declined 3%, to 3,700 head. Yearling cattle were well supplied this week, with demand from feedlots setting the platform for the sale and most categories presenting in good condition. Most other buyers were present, with one northern exporter returning to the sale and all other major domestic processors operating.
- Medium C2 yearling steers to feed held steady, averaging 346¢/kg
- Heavy C3 yearling heifers to processors slipped 1¢, averaging 310¢/kg
- Heavy D4 cows to slaughter were up 2¢, averaging 242¢/kg
At the close of Monday’s markets:
- The Eastern Young Cattle Indicator (EYCI) finished at 658¢, down 1¢/kg cwt from where it settled the previous day
- Trade steers were up 1¢, at 346¢/kg lwt
- Medium steers were back 6¢, on 298¢/kg lwt
- Heavy steers finished firm at 300¢/kg lwt
- Medium cows up 2¢,on 233¢/kg lwt
- Feeder steers settled 2¢ lower, at 353¢/kg lwt
Note: All yardings and prices referenced are from MLA reported saleyards
Join myMLA today
One username and password for key integrity and information Systems (LPA/NVD, NLIS, MSA & LDL).
A personalised online dashboard that provides news, weather, events and R&D tools relevant to you.
Customised market information and analysis.
Already registered for myMLA?