Tuesday daily cattle summary
15 November 2016
Cattle numbers at Toowoomba increased 4% this week, to 1,071 head. The usual field of buyers were present and operated in a firm to dearer market, with good quality young cattle well represented. A small selection of heavy grown steers were on offer, and restockers provided good support for lighter weight yearling lines.
- Light C2 yearling steers to restockers were up 16¢, averaging 374¢/kg
- Light C2 yearling heifers to feed averaged 6¢, averaging 349¢/kg
- Heavy C4 bullocks to slaughter were up 4¢, averaging 298¢/kg
This week at TRLX Tamworth, consignments declined 8% to 1,095 head. Quality and condition was fair to good, with young cattle in good supply along with a fair offering of cows. Drafts of well finished heavy grown cattle were also well represented, and most of the regular processors were in attendance.
- Heavy C3 yearling steers to feed were up 8¢, averaging 343¢/kg
- Light C2 yearling heifers to restockers eased 16¢, averaging 315¢/kg
- Heavy D4 cows to processors slipped 4¢, averaging 236¢/kg
At Wagga, cattle throughput increased 3% to 3,800 head. Quality varied across all categories, with a greater supply of younger lines on offer week-on-week. Requiring more finish, yearling cattle sold to mixed price trends - with bidding fluctuating from restocker and feedlot buyers throughout the sale.
- Heavy C2 yearling steers to feed eased 11¢, averaging 335¢/kg
- Heavy C3 yearling heifers to processors were up 1¢, to 311¢/kg
- Heavy C3 grown steers to slaughter were back 2¢, to 313¢/kg
- Heavy D3 cows to processors gained 4¢, averaging 246¢/kg
At the close of Monday’s markets:
- The Eastern Young Cattle Indicator (EYCI) settled at 656¢, up 0.75¢/kg cwt from where it settled the previous day
- Trade steers eased 6¢, on 333¢/kg lwt
- Medium steers held firm, on 301¢/kg lwt
- Heavy steers remained unchanged at 299¢/kg lwt
- Medium cows were firmon 229¢/kg lwt
- Feeder steers finished 1¢ cheaper, at 353¢/kg lwt
Note: All yardings and prices referenced are from MLA reported saleyards
Join myMLA today
One username and password for key integrity and information Systems (LPA/NVD, NLIS, MSA & LDL).
A personalised online dashboard that provides news, weather, events and R&D tools relevant to you.
Customised market information and analysis.
Already registered for myMLA?