Tuesday daily cattle summary
22 November 2016
At Toowoomba this week, cattle numbers were up 18% to 1,266 head. Most buyers were in attendance, with those operating in firm to slightly dearer conditions. Despite an increased number of plainer condition cows on offer, quality was fair to good overall – with restockers and feeder operators bidding strongly on lighter weights.
- Heavy C2 yearling steers to feed were up 5¢, averaging 343¢/kg
- Light C2 yearling heifers to feed eased 7¢, averaging 342¢/kg
- Medium D2 cows to slaughter jumped 5¢, averaging 229¢/kg
Throughput at TRLX Tamworth increased 17%, to 1,285 head. Yearlings made up the bulk of the yarding this week, with quality fair to good across the offering. The usual buyers were in attendance, with restocker and feeder sections selling to strong demand and most grown steers holding firm.
- Medium C2 yearling steers to restockers gained 10¢, at 346¢/kg
- Light C2 yearling heifers to restockers were up 14¢, averaging 329¢/kg
- Light C3 grown heifers to feed sold to 288¢, averaging 283¢/kg
Consignments at Wagga declined 11%, to 3,400 head. The beginning of harvest season saw a lesser offering this week, with vealer lines well represented and quality particularly strong. Several drafts of yearling cattle sold to mixed price trends, with not all domestic processors operating and bidding fluctuating throughout the sale.
- Heavy C2 yearling steers to feed slipped 3¢, averaging 332¢/kg
- Medium C2 yearling heifers to feed were up 2¢, averaging 340¢/kg
- Heavy C3 grown steers to slaughter were back 8¢, averaging 305¢/kg
- Heavy D4 cows to processors held firm at 247¢/kg
At the close of Monday’s markets:
- The Eastern Young Cattle Indicator (EYCI) settled at 648.25¢, back 0.50¢/kg cwt from where it settled the previous day
- Trade steers were up 9¢, at 343¢/kg lwt
- Medium steers were up 2¢, on 300¢/kg lwt
- Heavy steers held steady at 299¢/kg lwt
- Medium cows held firm at 234¢/kg lwt
- Feeder steers remained unchanged on
- 353¢/kg lwt
Note: All yardings and prices referenced are from MLA reported saleyards
Join myMLA today
One username and password for key integrity and information Systems (LPA/NVD, NLIS, MSA & LDL).
A personalised online dashboard that provides news, weather, events and R&D tools relevant to you.
Customised market information and analysis.
Already registered for myMLA?