Tuesday daily cattle summary
29 November 2016
Cattle numbers at Toowoomba increased 1% this week, to 1,284 head. Isolated showers failed to have an effect on availability, with the usual buyers in attendance – however not all operating fully. Drying seasonal conditions were reflected in the quality of the younger lightweight yearling lines particularly, with a cheaper trend recorded as a result – while heavier weights sold mostly firm.
- Medium C2 yearling steers to feed were up 2¢, averaging 345¢/kg
- Light C2 yearling feeder heifers eased 8¢, averaging 334¢/kg
- Medium D1 cows to restockers sold to 230¢, averaging 212¢/kg
Throughput at TRLX Tamworth increased 42%, to 1,829 head. Younger cattle and cows made up the bulk of the yarding, with quality and condition generally good throughout the offering. The usual field of buyers were in attendance, along with some extra feedlot support, with strong returns recorded for a few drafts of very good weaners straight off cows.
- Medium C2 yearling steers to restockers gained 2¢, to 348¢/kg
- Medium C3 yearling heifers to feed averaged 12¢ lower, at 312¢/kg
- Heavy D4 cows to slaughter were up 1¢, averaging 240¢/kg
Consignments at Wagga increased 19%, to 4,050 head. Quality was mixed throughout all categories this week, with weaner and yearling sections making up the bulk of the offering and heavier cattle in shorter supply. Competition remained subdued despite the bigger supply of cows, with well finished yearling trade steers also selling sporadically.
- Heavy C2 yearling steers to feed were up 4¢, averaging 336¢/kg
- Medium C2 yearling feeder steers held firm at 340¢/kg
- Heavy D3 cows to processors were back 9¢, averaging 233¢/kg
At the close of Monday’s markets:
- The Eastern Young Cattle Indicator (EYCI) finished on 643.25¢, back 1.25¢/kg cwt from where it settled the previous day
- Trade steers held firm on 340¢/kg lwt
- Medium steers eased 2¢, on 296¢/kg lwt
- Heavy steers were steady, at 300¢/kg lwt
- Medium cows eased 1¢, on 233¢/kg lwt
- Feeder steers settled 1¢ lower, at 350¢/kg lwt
Note: All yardings and prices referenced are from MLA reported saleyards
Join myMLA today
One username and password for key integrity and information Systems (LPA/NVD, NLIS, MSA & LDL).
A personalised online dashboard that provides news, weather, events and R&D tools relevant to you.
Customised market information and analysis.
Already registered for myMLA?