Tuesday daily cattle summary
13 December 2016
Cattle throughput at Toowoomba increased this week to 1,156 head. Young cattle were well supplied and restockers were active, while only a handful of heavy grown steers and bullocks were on offer, along with a smaller selection of cows. Buyer attendance was good, however export activity was not as strong as previous weeks.
- Heavy C3 yearling steers to feed were up 1¢, averaging 330¢/kg
- Light C2 yearling feeder heifers averaged 7¢ dearer, at 348¢/kg
- Heavy D4 cows to processors slipped 12¢, to 243¢/kg
TRLX Tamworth numbers increased 37%, to 1,840 head. Large numbers of yearling cattle were represented this week, along with a fair supply of well finished grown lines. The quality overall was good, with all the usual restocker and feeder orders operating, however not all export processors were active.
- Medium C2 yearling steers to restockers gained 2¢, averaging 345¢/kg
- Light C2 yearling heifers to feed were up 1¢, averaging 315¢/kg
- Heavy D4 cows to slaughter eased 8¢, averaging 229¢/kg
Consignments at Wagga lifted 4%, to 3,900 head. The market was mixed this week, with heavier cattle limited in supply. Despite the usual field of buyers in attendance, competition remained relatively subdued, with activity fluctuating throughout the sale. Finished lines sold mostly to feeder orders, while trade cattle remained mostly firm.
- Heavy C2 yearling steers to feed were up 6¢, averaging 337¢/kg
- Medium C2 yearling feeder heifers held firm, averaging 333¢/kg
- Heavy D4 cows to processors slipped 12¢, to 228¢/kg
At the close of Monday’s markets:
- The Eastern Young Cattle Indicator (EYCI) settled 1.50¢ lower on where it had finished the previous day, at 636.75¢/kg cwt
- Trade steers slipped 11¢, to 331¢/kg lwt
- Medium steers were up 2¢, at 294¢/kg lwt
- Heavy steers held firm on 297¢/kg lwt
- Medium cows were back 1¢, on 231¢/kg lwt
- Feeder steers gained 1¢, to 345¢/kg lwt
Note: All yardings and prices referenced are from MLA reported saleyards
Join myMLA today
One username and password for key integrity and information Systems (LPA/NVD, NLIS, MSA & LDL).
A personalised online dashboard that provides news, weather, events and R&D tools relevant to you.
Customised market information and analysis.
Already registered for myMLA?