Tuesday daily cattle summary
31 May 2016
Cattle throughput at Toowoomba decreased 12% this week, to 895 head. A dearer trend followed the lower yarding, with young cattle well represented along with a fair supply of cows. Most of the regular export and feeder buyers were operating, with light weight yearling steers returning to the paddock improving notably.
- Medium C2 yearling steers to feed averaged 316¢, up 13¢/kg
- Light C2 yearling feeder heifers finished 7¢ dearer, averaging 276¢/kg
- Heavy D4 cows to processors averaged 4¢ higher, at 239¢/kg
TRLX Tamworth consignments declined 1%, to 1,349 head. Young cattle and cow supplies held firm week-on-week, with well finished cattle to domestic and export buyers limited, and both quality and condition varying across the sale. Demand strengthened for most categories, with the usual buyers active.
- Medium C2 vealer steers to restockers averaged 319¢, up 7¢/kg
- Medium C2 vealer heifers to restockers finished 1¢ lower, averaging 279¢/kg
- Light C2 yearling heifers to feed averaged 287¢, up 6¢/kg
- Medium D2 cows to processors settled 1¢ higher, averaging 188¢/kg
Numbers at Wagga recorded only a slight decline this week, yarding 3,765 head. Secondary yearlings and vealers lacking condition were well supplied, with a shortage of heavy steers and heifers resulting in a dearer trend. Interstate restockers bid keenly, with a larger group of store buyers in attendance.
- Medium C2 yearling steers to feed averaged 323¢, up 3¢/kg
- Heavy C3 yearling heifers to processors finished 12¢ higher, at 307¢/kg
- Heavy C3 grown steers to slaughter averaged 301¢, up 24¢/kg
- Heavy D3 cows to the same order eased 1¢, averaging 221¢/kg
At the close of Monday’s markets:
- The Eastern Young Cattle Indicator (EYCI) averaged 570¢, up 2.25¢/kg cwt on where it finished the previous day
- Trade steers were up 1¢, on 319¢/kg lwt
- Medium steers were firm, on 297¢/kg lwt
- Heavy steers were up 1¢, on 286¢/kg lwt
- Medium cows were firm, on 216¢/kg lwt
- Feeder steers were up 1¢, on 314¢/kg lwt
Note: All yardings and prices referenced are from MLA reported saleyards
Join myMLA today
One username and password for key integrity and information Systems (LPA/NVD, NLIS, MSA & LDL).
A personalised online dashboard that provides news, weather, events and R&D tools relevant to you.
Customised market information and analysis.
Already registered for myMLA?