Tuesday daily cattle summary
24 January 2017
This week at Toowoomba, cattle numbers increased 8% - to 1,202 head. Remaining fairly similar, activity throughout younger sections was good, while export processors operated keenly across cow categories. Restockers bid keenly on the better quality light weight yearling steers, finishing dearer as a result – with heifer portions following a similar trend.
- Light C2 yearling steers to restockers gained 9¢, averaging 396¢/kg cwt
- Light C2 yearling heifers to restockers averaged 361¢/kg cwt
- Medium D4 cows to processors sold to 257¢, averaging 247¢ and back 1¢/kg cwt
Throughput at TRLX Tamworth increased 8% - to 1,850 head. Yearling cattle were well supplied this week, with a fair supply of other sections also on offer. Quality throughout was good, with plenty of well finished lines yarded and all the usual buyers operated in a firm to cheaper market overall.
- Heavy C2 yearling steers to feed sold to 345¢, averaging 338¢/kg cwt - holding firm
- Heavy C3 yearling heifers to feed averaged 317¢/kg cwt - holding firm
- Heavy D3 cows to slaughter averaged 245¢ - up 8¢/kg cwt
Consignments at Wagga remained unchanged week-on-week, at 4,800 head. Quality was mixed, with yearling categories in secondary condition well represented. Well finished steers were hard to find, and domestic processors struggled as a result – with most looking to heifer portions to make up orders. Export processors operated selectively, while northern restockers bid keenly on lighter weights.
- Heavy C2 yearling steers to feed reached 364¢, averaging 344¢/kg cwt, holding firm
- Medium C2 yearling feeder heifers eased 3¢, averaging 337¢/kg cwt
- Medium C3 grown steers to processors averaged 306¢, back 22¢/kg cwt
- Heavy D4 cows to slaughter were back 3¢, averaging 247¢/kg cwt
At the close of Monday’s markets:
- The Eastern Young Cattle Indicator (EYCI) finished on 651.25¢, decreasing 1.25¢/kg cwt on where it finished the previous day.
- Trade steers averaged 341¢, back 3¢/kg cwt
- Medium steers averaged 300¢, down 5¢/kg cwt
- Heavy steers averaged 301¢, easing 5¢/kg cwt
- Medium cows averaged 234¢/kg cwt, holding firm
- Feeder steers settled at 349¢, back 1¢/kg cwt
Note: All yardings and prices referenced are from MLA reported saleyards
Join myMLA today
One username and password for key integrity and information Systems (LPA/NVD, NLIS, MSA & LDL).
A personalised online dashboard that provides news, weather, events and R&D tools relevant to you.
Customised market information and analysis.
Already registered for myMLA?