Tuesday daily cattle summary
31 January 2017
Numbers at Toowoomba increased 17%, to 1,407 head. A good mixed of cattle were on offer across most classes, as the regular panel of export processors and feeder buyers were in attendance – along with a notable array of restockers. Light weight yearlings continued to sell strongly, while heavier sections to feed followed a similar trend. Cows in plainer condition received solid processor demand and improved as a result.
- Medium C2 yearling steers to feed averaged 6¢ higher, at 359¢/kg
- Light C2 yearling heifers to feed were back 8¢, to 336¢/kg
- Heavy D4 cows to slaughter eased 2¢, averaging 252¢/kg
TRLX Tamworth throughput declined 31%, to 1,270 head. Yearling sections made up the majority, in what was a smaller offering week-on-week. Greater supplies of grown steers and cows were penned, and the quality was generally good overall. Buyers competed spiritedly for heavy domestic trade lines, with heavy feeder and export cattle also selling strongly.
- Heavy C2 yearling steers to feed were up 5¢, averaging 343¢/kg
- Medium C2 grown steers to feed gained 21¢, averaging 337¢/kg
- Heavy D4 cows to slaughter averaged 5¢ dearer, averaging 250¢/kg
Wagga cattle consignments decreased 17% this week, to 4,000 head. A limited supply of vealers resulted in stronger demand compared to the previous sale, with processors particularly active throughout. A mixed trend was recorded across all categories, and although heavy steer and bullock prices fluctuated, some cow lines trended dearer.
- Heavy C2 yearling steers to feed were back 2¢, averaging 341¢/kg
- Medium C2 yearling heifers to feed averaged 325¢, back 12¢/kg
- Heavy D3 cows to slaughter gained 5¢, averaging 244¢/kg
At the close of Monday’s markets:
- The Eastern Young Cattle Indicator (EYCI) finished on 651.25¢, declining 0.25¢/kg on where it finished the previous day.
- Trade steers averaged 335¢, up 2¢/kg lwt
- Medium steers averaged 302¢, up 3¢/kg lwt
- Heavy steers averaged 305¢, back 3¢/kg lwt
- Medium cows averaged 237¢, down 1¢/kg lwt
- Feeder steers settled on 353¢, back 1¢/kg lwt
Note: All yardings and prices referenced are from MLA reported saleyards
Join myMLA today
One username and password for key integrity and information Systems (LPA/NVD, NLIS, MSA & LDL).
A personalised online dashboard that provides news, weather, events and R&D tools relevant to you.
Customised market information and analysis.
Already registered for myMLA?