Tuesday daily cattle summary
07 February 2017
Cattle numbers at Toowoomba increased 32% this week, to 1,855 head. The warmer weather contributed to a much larger yarding week-on-week, with a wide variation in quality seen across most categories. Better conditioned cattle sold firm – while good quality light weight yearlings also received strong demand.
- Medium C2 yearling steers to feed were back 8¢, averaging 351¢/kg
- Light C2 yearling heifers to feed averaged 338¢, gaining 2¢/kg
- Heavy D4 cows to slaughter eased 2¢, averaging 245¢/kg
Throughput at Tamworth remained much the same this week, decreasing just 1%, to 1,263 head. Young cattle suitable to restock and feed were in strong supply, and quality was generally good overall. Reduced buyer competition from feedlotters resulted in a cheaper trend in sections, with age and condition also having an effect.
- Medium C2 yearling steers to feed averaged 340¢, dropping 9¢/kg
- Medium C2 yearling heifers to feed were up 6¢, averaging 333¢/kg
- Heavy D3 cows to slaughter were 5¢ cheaper, averaging 237¢/kg
Consignments at Wagga reached 4,000 head this week, lifting 5% on the week prior. Hot weather continues to impact quality over all categories, with those suitable to processors limited. A short supply of well finished steers resulted in improved buyer enthusiasm toward their female counterparts – while grown steers and bullocks presented in a reasonable number and fair quality.
- Heavy C2 yearling steers to feed were down 1¢, averaging 340¢/kg
- Medium C2 yearling heifers to feed gained 6¢, averaging 332¢/kg
- Heavy D4 cows to slaughter average 245¢, decreasing 3¢/kg
At the close of Monday’s markets:
- The Eastern Young Cattle Indicator (EYCI) finished on 654¢, dropping 1¢/kg cwt on where it finished the previous day.
- Trade steers averaged 349¢, up 4¢/kg lwt
- Medium steers held firm, averaging 296¢/kg lwt
- Heavy steers held steady, averaging 306¢/kg lwt
- Medium cows gained 1¢, averaging 234¢/kg lwt
- Feeder steers settled on 355¢, down 1¢/kg lwt
Note: All yardings and prices referenced are from MLA reported saleyards
Join myMLA today
One username and password for key integrity and information Systems (LPA/NVD, NLIS, MSA & LDL).
A personalised online dashboard that provides news, weather, events and R&D tools relevant to you.
Customised market information and analysis.
Already registered for myMLA?