Tuesday daily cattle summary
14 February 2017
Cattle numbers at Toowoomba declined 66% this week, to 1,217 head. Continued hot and dry conditions hampered the supply of stock week-on-week, with quality varying throughout most sections and most of the usual buyers operating in a cheaper market.
- Light C2 yearling steers to restockers eased 9¢, averaging 359¢/kg
- Light C2 yearling heifers reached 354¢, averaging 337¢/kg
- Heavy C4 grown steers to processors slipped 8¢, averaging 288¢/kg
Consignments at TRLX Tamworth decreased 11%, to 1,120 head. Numbers reduced further as a result of the prevailing heatwave, with quality mostly good throughout. Female lines were well represented, however regular buyer demand softened resulting in a cheaper trend overall.
- Heavy C2 yearling steers to feed eased 7¢, averaging 332¢/kg
- Medium C2 yearling heifers to restockers reached 349¢, averaging 332¢/kg
- Medium D2 cows to processors were back 3¢, averaging 198¢/kg
Throughput at Wagga decreased 14%, to 3,600 head. Quality across all categories was impacted by the hot conditions this week, with a plainer offering of cattle penned. Processors operated more selectively, with only a handful of restockers bidding, and prices fluctuating as a result.
- Medium C2 yearling steers to feed eased 5¢, averaging 344¢, while heavy lines reached 360¢, averaging 337¢/kg
- Medium C2 yearling heifers to feed slipped 8¢, averaging 323¢/kg
- Heavy C3 grown steers to slaughter were up 3¢, averaging 308¢/kg
- Heavy D4 cows to processors were back 1¢, at 244¢/kg
At the close of Monday’s markets:
- The Eastern Young Cattle Indicator (EYCI) finished on 638¢, declining 2¢/kg cwt on where it finished the previous day.
- Trade steers averaged 327¢, back 3¢/kg lwt
- Medium steers averaged 302¢, back 3¢/kg lwt
- Heavy steers averaged 299¢, back 1¢/kg lwt
- Medium cows averaged 229¢, back 1¢/kg lwt
- Feeder steers held firm, at 349¢/kg lwt
Note: All yardings and prices referenced are from MLA reported saleyards
Join myMLA today
One username and password for key integrity and information Systems (LPA/NVD, NLIS, MSA & LDL).
A personalised online dashboard that provides news, weather, events and R&D tools relevant to you.
Customised market information and analysis.
Already registered for myMLA?