Tuesday daily cattle summary
21 February 2017
This week at Toowoomba, cattle numbers declined 6%, to 1,146 head. Despite a similar yarding, quality varied across most classes, reflective of the mostly cheaper trend. A fair panel of buyers were operating, with demand for cows improving marginally, although overall feeder activity remained subdued.
- Light C2 yearling steers to restockers gained 8¢, averaging 367¢/kg
- Light C2 yearling heifers to feed slipped 8¢, averaging 329¢/kg
- Medium D3 cows to processors were up 3¢, averaging 230¢/kg
Consignments at TRLX Tamworth increased 16%, to 1,375 head. Limited supplies of grown sections were on offer this week, with quality and condition varying throughout the yarding. Some better quality vealer and yearling lines suitable to restocker and feeder orders were penned, with a handful of store conditioned cows on offer to the usual buyers that operated in a cheaper market.
- Medium C2 yearling steers to restockers were back 16¢, averaging 315¢/kg
- Light C2 yearling heifers to restockers slipped 14¢, averaging 318¢/kg
- Medium D2 cows to slaughter reached 236¢, averaging 232¢/kg
Throughput at Wagga declined 19% this week, to 4,300 head. The market was mixed, with quality following a similar trend in a significantly bigger offering. Weaner and yearlings made up the majority, and heavier cattle were in short supply. Processors also bid more selectively in most sections, with the market fluctuating as the sale progressed.
- Medium C2 yearling steers to feed eased 3¢, averaging 341¢, while heavy lines to the same orders were back 10¢, to 327¢/kg
- Medium C2 yearling heifers to feed were up 4¢, averaging 327¢/kg
- Heavy D3 cows to processors were back 3¢, averaging 231¢/kg
At the close of Monday’s markets:
- The Eastern Young Cattle Indicator (EYCI) declined 1¢ on where it finished the previous day, averaging 636¢/kg cwt
- Trade steers were back 1¢, averaging 330¢/kg lwt
- Medium steers averaged 294¢, back 1¢/kg lwt
- Heavy steers averaged 298¢, up 1¢/kg lwt
- Medium cows held firm, at 226¢/kg lwt
- Feeder steers averaged 339¢, back 2¢/kg lwt
Note: All yardings and prices referenced are from MLA reported saleyards
Join myMLA today
One username and password for key integrity and information Systems (LPA/NVD, NLIS, MSA & LDL).
A personalised online dashboard that provides news, weather, events and R&D tools relevant to you.
Customised market information and analysis.
Already registered for myMLA?